Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whole house humidifiers revisited

I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative
metal elements. It uses a huge amount of water throughout the
winter. I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier.
Anyone have any experience with steam or mist humidifiers?

Here are a few versions.

http://electronicaircleaners.com/steam-humidifier.aspx

Ed S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 9:57*am, "
wrote:
I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative
metal elements. *It uses a huge amount of water throughout the
winter. *I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier.
Anyone have any experience with steam or mist humidifiers?

Here are a few versions.

http://electronicaircleaners.com/steam-humidifier.aspx

Ed S.

The only experience I have is the house I'm in now had a misting
humidifier when I bought it and the ductwork was rusted badly and had
stalactites and stalagmites in it.

Can't saw if it was working correctly or not I disconnected it and
replaced the rotten ducts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 8:57*am, "
wrote:
I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative
metal elements. *It uses a huge amount of water throughout the
winter. *I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier.
Anyone have any experience with steam or mist humidifiers?

Here are a few versions.

http://electronicaircleaners.com/steam-humidifier.aspx

Ed S.

Mine doesnt use much water, what is the huge amount yours uses. Im
sure you could reduce flow easily. April Air is good. You think water
costs alot, and you talk electricity for steam, now that would be
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 9:57*am, "
wrote:
I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative
metal elements. *It uses a huge amount of water throughout the
winter. *I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier.
Anyone have any experience with steam or mist humidifiers?

It uses whatever water is required in an attempt to maintain whatever
the preset humidity level is. Either that or it runs full-out all the
time in a futile attempt to maintain humidity in a very leaky house.

A different type of humidifer will use the same amount of water, or
more, in its attempt to maintain the humidity level. Either that, or
you run at a lower humidity level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 3:50*pm, wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:57*am, "
wrote:

I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative
metal elements. *It uses a huge amount of water throughout the
winter. *I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier.
Anyone have any experience with steam or mist humidifiers?

It uses whatever water is required in an attempt to maintain whatever
the preset humidity level is. Either that or it runs full-out all the
time in a futile attempt to maintain humidity in a very leaky house.

A different type of humidifer will use the same amount of water, or
more, in its attempt to maintain the humidity level. Either that, or
you run at a lower humidity level.

I'm going to replace the aprile air with a Desert Spring rotary disc
unit.

http://www.desertspringproducts.com/...ring/index.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 8:31*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative
metal elements. *It uses a huge amount of water throughout the
winter. *I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier.
Anyone have any experience with steam or mist humidifiers?

Lotsa-lotsa water is good. In a study released just today, higher absolute
(not relative) humidity can cut flu transmission dramatically.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...H3a-1mYRb6iulv...

I wouldn't be so quick to replace an AprilAire with anything else.
I've had excellent experience with them, as have many other posters
here over the years. They are trouble free and work well. I assume
what you are complaing about is the waste water that runs out when the
unit is operating. If it's operating correctly, ie with the
correct inline flow restrictor, I wouldn't call it a huge amount of
water.

There are pluses and minuses to all the various types of
humidifiers. For example, the mist type, which is one you are
talking about, are known for leaving white dust deposits around the
house. The DesertSpring one has no flow through water and relies on
a rotating plastic disc. They claim the minerals just fall off
nicely to the bottom of the unit, but I'd be skeptical of that. The
rotating drum types of the past were never very good.

In short, I think you could be trading some small amount of waste
water for different problems.