Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Porter-Cable quality?

Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. Now that B&D bought them out, are
they any better than B&D? Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless drill,
circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think they are now as
worthless as B&D. Any such experience with the new stuff?

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 6:20*am, Michael Dobony wrote:
Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. *Now that B&D bought them out, are
they any better than B&D? *Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless drill,
circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think they are now as
worthless as B&D. *Any such experience with the new stuff?

Mike D.

I have about 10 1983 PC tools that work, then prefab factory builders
would use them everyday for about 1 yr and wear everything out and get
a new one. Then you paid 350$ for their top drill. Now its maybe 200$
25 yrs later! Stuff is likely made in china now of less quality but
also look at how much less you pay. If B&D owns them now who knows,
dont they own DeWalt a top brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The B&D brand is their low price point for entry level consumers.
They're positioning Porter Cable for serious amateurs. DeWalt is their
pro line. In other words, they're downgrading Porter Cable from pro to
serious amateur.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick-Meister wrote:
The B&D brand is their low price point for entry level consumers.
They're positioning Porter Cable for serious amateurs. DeWalt is their
pro line. In other words, they're downgrading Porter Cable from pro to
serious amateur.

OTOH, if you ever see any OLD (like 20 years) B&D at a garage sale, at
least plug it in for a listen , after wiggling everything for a bearing
check. My father has some well-abused B&D saws that I used as a kid,
that still work great. Not so sure about modern DeWalt. I can remember
when it was almost a 'trade only' brand, priced accordingly. The ones
since they switched to yellow shells don't seem as rugged to me.

Yeah, I know, there are only a few factories world-wide that make tools
for everyone these days, same as most items. Brand doesn't mean near as
much as it used too. You gotta pick it up and let it talk to you, see
how it feels in your hands. Cheap junk usually feels like cheap junk.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. Now that B&D bought them out, are
they any better than B&D? Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless drill,
circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think they are now as
worthless as B&D. Any such experience with the new stuff?

Mike D.

Hi,
Last time I looked at their circular saw it was from China.
I am sticking to Milwaukee and De Walt. Well I have their
Tiger Saw and some Bosch as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 19:17:42 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Michael Dobony wrote:
Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. Now that B&D bought them out, are
they any better than B&D? Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless drill,
circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think they are now as
worthless as B&D. Any such experience with the new stuff?

Mike D.

Hi,
Last time I looked at their circular saw it was from China.
I am sticking to Milwaukee and De Walt. Well I have their
Tiger Saw and some Bosch as well.

Good idea to avoid China-made tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 02:14:43 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Rick-Meister wrote:
[...]

30 years ago my father had a B&D and I still remember going downtown a few
times a year to get parts to fix it. Bought a Craftsman drill about 25
years ago and my son has it I think, or my son-in-law. It helped me build
a house (drilling all the holes for electrical) as well as various other
jobs over the years. The only repair has been a new cord.\

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:

Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. Now that B&D bought them out, are
they any better than B&D? Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless
drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think they are now
as
worthless as B&D. Any such experience with the new stuff?

Mike D.

I have PC everything. I use a 14.4 cordless drill everyday for 7 years and
love it. I have only had to buy batteries for it. Since the take over I
will not buy PC anymore. I'm moving my tool purchase to Bosch or Milwaukee.
I even called PC about a year ago and voiced my concerns and was told not
to worry it was keeping PC for the pros. Well guess what? It's weekend
warrior **** now. PC stuff, routers, drills, jig saws, sawzall, circular
saws, and miter saw. Not anymore. I hope B&D reads these posts!!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"