Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Wood Floor really cold in Winter

Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood
floor gets really cold. One of my friends suggested that since the
garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not
insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen
floor) now? Thoughts?

Thanks

SR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

newbee wrote:
Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood
floor gets really cold. One of my friends suggested that since the
garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not
insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen
floor) now? Thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

I presume it is drywalled? If you can spare the headroom, simplest way
would probably be foamboard with another layer of fire-rated drywall
over it. (they sell extension rings for the ceiling lights.) Also check
how well the garage door and any outside doors from garage seal. If you
can see daylight around them with the interior lights off, they need work.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 8:09*am, newbee wrote:
Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood
floor gets really cold. *One of my friends suggested that since the
garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not
insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen
floor) now? *Thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

Nor is the garage heated, is this cold without shoes on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:09*am, newbee wrote:
Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood
floor gets really cold. *One of my friends suggested that since the
garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not
insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen
floor) now? *Thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

The garage ceiling may in fact be insulated.
However, it is likely that the insulation is not continuous at wall /
ceiling intersections and the various pieces of material are not
sealed to exclude drafts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

newbee wrote:
Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood
floor gets really cold. One of my friends suggested that since the
garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not
insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen
floor) now? Thoughts?

It may or may not be insulated already, but over the garage it may be cooler
in either case if the garage is 20 or 30 degrees cooler than the house.

The other factor is surface contact. Wood, tiles, and other smooth surfaces
feel cooler to your feet because you have greater skin (or sock) contact
compared to carpeting. Since the floor is 70° and your body is 96°, it will
suck the heat right our of you.

If you suspect lack of insulation make a small hole and take a peek. If
none, it can be blown in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:09*am, newbee wrote:
Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood
floor gets really cold. *One of my friends suggested that since the
garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not
insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen
floor) now? *Thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

It's the nature of the beast. My kids room is above the garage, and
the hardwood floor is also a little cold.