Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Home Wiring for Carrying Audio

On Dec 18, 1:37*pm, Lee wrote:
Many years ago I believe I heard of a means to connect stereo speakers
to an amplifier/tuner by use of home electrical wiring as the speaker
wire. As I recall, there was some kind of interface device that
connected a wall outlet to the amplifier and another that connected
the speakers to wall outlets which allowed for easy placement/movement
of speakers without the need for specialized wires for connecting
them.
I have searched and searched and find nothing that refers to such a
means of connecting speakers.
Was this an idea that just didn't work, or am I not using the correct
search terminology?
Thanks for your advice. Lee

They were very problematic because they would modulate the audio to a
carrier frequency then piggy back that (as noise) onto the powerline
sine wave. Then the receiver would detect the carrier and decode.
They never sounded very good for music, but OK for intercoms, as the
carrier frequency was limited. What also happened over the years is
that many modern electronic devices and power strips began to come
with filters built in to suppress this kind powerline noise to
ground. So even if it worked one day, the next day when someone plugs
a newer TV set onto the same branch circuit, the carrier is seen as
noise and gets filtered out before the receiver.

I would look into sending audio over a wireless LAN network at
compression rates that wont cause noticeable degradation of the sound,
to a receiving device that can buffer the data flow at a those higher
bit rates. When these digital music distribution systems are set up
at higher bit rates, they sound acceptable. But at lower rates they
can sound horrible too. If you have a wired gigabit or 100mbs LAN in
your home, then send the data over CAT6 or 5e and it will work even
better than wireless.

Here are some examples or go to a local HiFi store and ask about
"music streaming over LAN networks":

http://www.smarthome.com/971040/Sony...-System/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/971027/Sony...-TDMNC1/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/971025W/VAI...F-WA1-W/p.aspx