Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water valves - why multiturn?

On Dec 18, 3:05�pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm talking about valves that you find in various places in your
home's water supply system.
It seems to me that a quarter-turn valve with a biggish (typically
red) lever is most convenient type to use. It gives you good leverage
it doesn't look like it's going to break off. I have had bad luck with
multi-turn valves. Sometimes they are invonvenient to use if they are
hard to reach. the handles have broken on a number of occasions and
two main ones - the ones that control the water coming in - do not
shut the water off completely. So when replacing all of these, I was
planning on using the quarter-turn-big-lever types. So I am wondering
if my choice is sound and whether I am missing something.

Thank you in advance,

Aaron

yeah ball valves are way better, they appear to last forever and never
leak.

they cost more new, which may be why there not the standard.......

in my home all valves changes, replacements or alterations get ball
valves ONLY.

there are only a few old style valves remaining
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 2:16*pm, " wrote:
[...]

there are only a few old style valves remaining- Hide quoted text -

Ball valves are better and easy to use but I just replaced one 7 yrs
old that would not shut off completely, maybe when these were all US
made they didnt leak, but nobody knows what they get these days.