Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switch polarity question (electrical)

Up in the attic. Have to bring hot wire to junction box with three legs
going out. Each leg goes to ceiling light of different rooms. YES, I can
power them up and the wall switch in each room turns on its respective
light. BUT, what's an easy way to test that I don't have hot and neutral
reversed. The old romex in the attic (two wire, cloth wrapped) is NOT color
coded in any way.

Do I simply drag a neutral wire from a different circuit and probe the bulb
socket in each room? Is there an easier way? My A.C. voltmeter obviously
does not indicate polarity.

All replies appreciated. Sheetrock guy is coming tomorrow a.m. and I have
to solve this today!

Ivan Vegvary