Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Save a little energy

In many areas the use of air conditioners is over for the season.
If you have electric air conditioning and if it is not a heat pump,
then it may be a good idea to turn off the power to the unit. Many
systems have a heater circuit that is on most of the time. It does
not consume a lot of power, but it does eat some. Turning off the
power at the source to the unit will save this power until you need it
next summer.

Note: don't forget to turn it back on in the spring and don't try
to run the A/C for a day or two after you turn it on.

I also like the idea of killing any circuit that will not need
power for an extended period. A dead circuit is just a little bit
less likely to cause a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

...I also like the idea of killing any circuit that will not need
power for an extended period. A dead circuit is just a little bit
less likely to cause a problem.

GFCI outlets use a little power. So if you have outside GFCI outlets which
you are not going to use all winter, turn them off!

And window air conditioners which have a remote control or electronic
display always use electricity. Unplug it for the winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen a PSA recently advising people to turn off home
entertainment centers and computers when not using them. In my case,
there is rarely, if ever, a time I'm not using them.

I don't have a home entertainment center, but I do have an old 32" TV
with cable box and DVR. If I completely turned them off, I couldn't
record anything overnight. If I turned off my computer, I couldn't run
backup and virus check every night, like I do now.

I wonder how many people are in similar circumstances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

A dead circuit is just a little bit
less likely to cause a problem.

....unless it powering something that needs a little juice to stay healthy or
alert....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
wrote in message

...I also like the idea of killing any circuit that will not need
power for an extended period. A dead circuit is just a little bit
less likely to cause a problem.

GFCI outlets use a little power. So if you have outside GFCI outlets
which you are not going to use all winter, turn them off!

And window air conditioners which have a remote control or electronic
display always use electricity. Unplug it for the winter.

And don't overlook unplugging clocks when not in use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 7:40*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bill wrote:
wrote in message

* ...I also like the idea of killing any circuit that will not need
power for an extended period. *A dead circuit is just a little bit
less likely to cause a problem.

GFCI outlets use a little power. So if you have outside GFCI outlets
which you are not going to use all winter, turn them off!

And window air conditioners which have a remote control or electronic
display always use electricity. Unplug it for the winter.

And don't overlook unplugging clocks when not in use.

Yes the wasted electricity, every few cents of it, turns into heat/
warmth and helps heat the house during wintertime. So using 25 cents
of electrcity may save 15 cents of gas heating, say?
Or conversely turning off all the 'gadgets' might save 25 cents of
electricity; to be replaced with, say 15 cents of gas or oil heating?
Net saving (wntertime) ten cents?