Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem w/Circuit Breaker on Door Panel of Forced Air System

Hello all. I broke the forced air system, while simply removing the front
panel to replace the air filter! I can see exactly where the problem is
occurring though and it's right on the silly front panel frame!

The problem is a circuit breaker (says Carlingswitch 0534 10A) that is
mounted to the inside front panel frame (an area where the removed panel
screws *onto*). This is an odd breaker, though I'm no expert on them, but
looks weird b/c has grease that's been I'd gather manually applied, and the
fuse part is exposed and the first I ever noticed this thing, it has a
"tongue" of metal which does *not* look like it broke off due to normal
circuit breaker tripping, no breakage marks but just looks like it fell out
of where it's supposed to be. If I take this tongue of metal and push
w/plastic so it touches two contacts I can see, the system comes back on.
But there's nothing I can figure out to keep it touching the contacts and it
jiggles off with any slight jarring.

Before this problem occurred I banged on the front panel a bit with a hammer
to get it to seat properly and shift down a bit and I'm thinking this jarred
this little tongue out of whatever proper position it was in.

Weird question and a weird circuit breaker. I'd prefer not to spend alot on
an electrician just to deal with this simple thing.

Anyone help? If noone wants to help can anyone explain the purpose of an
odd circuit breaker mounted to the door frame like this?