Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default Your Experience With Residential Energy Controllers

In August 2008, the guy who sold me a home generator talked us into
getting an energy controller. He claimed that it has cut his kwh by
25%. Here's what the manufacturer says: 8-10% realized in monthly
savings; investment return (36 months or less); reduced energy demand;
decreased heat dissipation (extends life of appliances); amperage
surge protection for all your home equipment.

$600 installed.

Comparing Oct. 2008 with October 2007:

3% *more* kwh were used in 10/08 even though the counting period was
two days less. The only lifestyle change in 2008 was upgrade from
dial-up to DSL modem. The outside temperature was one degree
Farenheit colder in 10/08 when compared with 10/07.

As you can see, not a good experience. Would like to read your
experiences.

Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Nov 16, 2:49*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
In August 2008, the guy who sold me a home generator talked us into
getting an energy controller. *He claimed that it has cut his kwh by
25%. * Here's what the manufacturer says: 8-10% realized in monthly
savings; investment return (36 months or less); reduced energy demand;
decreased heat dissipation (extends life of appliances); amperage
surge protection for all your home equipment.

$600 installed.

Comparing Oct. 2008 with October 2007:

3% *more* kwh were used in 10/08 even though the counting period was
two days less. *The only lifestyle change in 2008 was upgrade from
dial-up to DSL modem. *The outside temperature was one degree
Farenheit colder in 10/08 when compared with 10/07.

As you can see, not a good experience. *Would like to read your
experiences.

I thought you asked months ago if they worked and everyone here said
No.
Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:16:45 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Nov 16, 2:49=A0pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
In August 2008, the guy who sold me a home generator talked us into
getting an energy controller. =A0He claimed that it has cut his kwh by
25%. =A0 Here's what the manufacturer says: 8-10% realized in monthly
savings; investment return (36 months or less); reduced energy demand;
decreased heat dissipation (extends life of appliances); amperage
surge protection for all your home equipment.

$600 installed.

Comparing Oct. 2008 with October 2007:

3% *more* kwh were used in 10/08 even though the counting period was
two days less. =A0The only lifestyle change in 2008 was upgrade from
dial-up to DSL modem. =A0The outside temperature was one degree
Farenheit colder in 10/08 when compared with 10/07.

As you can see, not a good experience. =A0Would like to read your
experiences.

I thought you asked months ago if they worked and everyone here said
No.

I did ask but don't recall any responses. Guess that either my PC or
my brain has developed a glitch. Sorry.
Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:
[...]

my brain has developed a glitch. *Sorry.- Hide quoted text -

an energy controller can save you money only if your electric company
has a peak demand rate structure. Then you use the controller to
spread out your usage so for example you don't use 22 kWhr all in one
hour. Or if you have a day night differential rate ypou run your
water heater and other loads at night. If you have a standard
electric rate, an energy controller will do no good. Talk to your
electric company about the special rates they may have for
residential service with day night differential or peak load or demand
load metering.

Mark
Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Jack wrote:
In August 2008, the guy who sold me a home generator talked us into
getting an energy controller. He claimed that it has cut his kwh by
25%. Here's what the manufacturer says: 8-10% realized in monthly
savings; investment return (36 months or less); reduced energy demand;
decreased heat dissipation (extends life of appliances); amperage
surge protection for all your home equipment.

$600 installed.

Comparing Oct. 2008 with October 2007:

3% *more* kwh were used in 10/08 even though the counting period was
two days less. The only lifestyle change in 2008 was upgrade from
dial-up to DSL modem. The outside temperature was one degree
Farenheit colder in 10/08 when compared with 10/07.

As you can see, not a good experience. Would like to read your
experiences.

Hi,
Now you learned, you are 600.00 poorer. Consider it as a fee for
valuable lesson, LOL!

Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:
[...]

Find the old post, to bad HD used to sell that junk that doesnt help
Posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Nov 16, 5:49*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
In August 2008, the guy who sold me a home generator talked us into
getting an energy controller. *He claimed that it has cut his kwh by
25%. * Here's what the manufacturer says: 8-10% realized in monthly
savings; investment return (36 months or less); reduced energy demand;
decreased heat dissipation (extends life of appliances); amperage
surge protection for all your home equipment.

$600 installed.

Comparing Oct. 2008 with October 2007:

3% *more* kwh were used in 10/08 even though the counting period was
two days less. *The only lifestyle change in 2008 was upgrade from
dial-up to DSL modem. *The outside temperature was one degree
Farenheit colder in 10/08 when compared with 10/07.

As you can see, not a good experience. *Would like to read your
experiences.

Are you in the UK, where in some areas, as I understand, they have
cheaper electricity rates late at night when the load on the system
diminishes. In that case it might make sense to wash and dry your
clothes at 2.00 AM etc.

However in most places including here (Eastern Canada) I gather the
cost of residential electrcity, per kilowatt hour, is the same no
matter when one uses it.

So apart from a monthly fee for our account with our electric utility
and sales tax on the total monthly bill to the government, our cost
for energy used is the same for each unit. There is no magic that can
reduce the amount of electricity used; except switching things off, or
otherwise reducing consumption. Rather like driving less to save
gasoline!