Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat Hookup

ok, few electical questions.

First I'll briefly explain what I'm trying to do.
Hooking up a thermostat for infloor heating in kitchen, existing house, not
new.
So we are installing a new Range to replace the stovetop that was there from
previous owner, we ran a new wire for the new range. We are now using the
existing wire (from stovetop) for the hookup of the infloor heating witch is
a 240v line which is required for the infloor heating. Now the problem.

This a 3wire (red,black,white & ground). Now the thermostat requires 2
wires to hook up. my question, which wires do I hook up? I turned on the
breaker to see what voltage each wire has:

White 0 volts
Black 118 volts
Red 119 volts

do I just hook up the black and red wires and forget the white wire?

I know, call an electrician, but I almost got it done, this is my last
problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
[...]

The old cooktop used a neutral (white wire), the floor heat does not. You
should run the red and black feed wires (240 volt) to the "line" side of a
double pole thermostat, and run two conductors from the "load" side of the
thermostat to the heating unit(s). Install proper grounding as per
instructions

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 4:13*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SteveC" wrote in message

OK, few electrical questions.

[...]

..
Agree: Also adding ...................
The thermostat requires two wires or four?
Some require both legs of the 230 volt supply to go through the
thermostat. Our older style wall mounted 'line voltage' thermostats,
controlling baseboard heaters, do so. See note.
Others require only one side (leg) of the 230 volt supply to go
through the thermostat. (And the other leg is just wired through.
Several programmable ones we have seen and helped others to install,
are like that).
If the thermostat has four wires (typically say, two reds and two
blacks) make darn sure the connections are correct; other wise it can
blow the thermostat! Heard about that happening the other day; wrongly
wired it not only tripped the breaker it just about blew the pi** out
of a brand new thermostat.
Note: Courtesy of a helpful person on this news group a couple of
years ago I was advised that most probably our thermostats were most
likely not double pole (As I had thought!) but were probably designed
so that one pole reacts to temperature and the other pole provides
means, by turning the thermostat setting back anticlockwise as far as
possible, to switch of the heater!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

terry wrote:
If the thermostat has four wires (typically say, two reds and two
blacks) make darn sure the connections are correct; other wise it can
blow the thermostat! Heard about that happening the other day; wrongly
wired it not only tripped the breaker it just about blew the pi** out
of a brand new thermostat.

Indeed. There should be wiring diagram w/ the heater; if it isn't w/
it, it's undoubtedly available from the manufacturer or distributor.
Best would be to check it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

The old cooktop used a neutral (white wire), the floor heat does not. You
should run the red and black feed wires (240 volt) to the "line" side of
a double pole thermostat, and run two conductors from the "load" side of
the thermostat to the heating unit(s). Install proper grounding as per
instructions

Excellent, hooked it up and it works. Thanks for the advice.

Steve