DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Regarding O-Rings Lubricating.. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/263085-regarding-o-rings-lubricating.html)

S.Daley October 20th 08 05:32 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

RLM October 20th 08 06:40 PM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

MLD October 20th 08 07:27 PM

"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

dpb October 20th 08 07:31 PM

MLD wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Depends entirely on what the o-ring is made from.

But, probably not a good choice for potable water, certainly not if in
contact (altho a minimal risk, isn't approved for food contact).

I'd ask OP _what_ o-rings, what kind/style of pump, etc., ...

Depending, may not need any lubrication and/or may be detrimental to
performance/longevity or may be water-lubricated or...

[email protected] October 20th 08 07:36 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

charlie October 20th 08 07:43 PM

wrote in message

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is
against the guy rules though....

[email protected] October 20th 08 07:54 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Depends entirely on what the o-ring is made from.

Most O-rings are Buna-n, some are Viton, others are Teflon.
Vaseline is compatable with all of them.

But, probably not a good choice for potable water, certainly not if in
contact (altho a minimal risk, isn't approved for food contact).

I'd ask OP _what_ o-rings, what kind/style of pump, etc., ...

Depending, may not need any lubrication and/or may be detrimental to
performance/longevity or may be water-lubricated or...

The small amounts of Vaseline that may enter the water will cause no
harm. Vaseline is non toxic.

[email protected] October 20th 08 08:00 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:43:18 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is
against the guy rules though....

You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't
needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone?
Have you ever tried to get rid of a Silicone residual when trying
to paint?

RLM October 20th 08 09:06 PM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:27:51 -0400, MLD wrote:

"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring mld

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). As tnom has stated it is eatable and worked
for me and a host of mechanics for over forty years. Even used it on poly
packing. Easy to see if contaminated and what the contaminate is. A metal
shaving or grit in a dark grease will lead to rework. The most expensive
work because it it at no profit and may ruin your reputation. Your
reputation is hardest part of rework to repair.

charlie October 20th 08 09:10 PM

wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:43:18 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water
pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is
against the guy rules though....

You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't
needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone?
Have you ever tried to get rid of a Silicone residual when trying
to paint?

neither, but silicone is inert and vaseline is oil based. you can buy a tube
of it in an auto parts store for about the same price as a tub of vaseline.
look for boat trailer bearing grease.

i have also read that some o-rings will disintegrate if used with oil based
lubricants; manuals explicitly state not to use it on some pumps that i
have. i can't tell the difference between materials of o-rings and would
rather not risk it.

you paint the inside of your pumps?

[email protected] October 20th 08 09:20 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

i have also read that some o-rings will disintegrate if used with oil based
lubricants;

Please Quote. Vaseline is 100% compatible with O-rings.

manuals explicitly state not to use it on some pumps that i
have. i can't tell the difference between materials of o-rings and would
rather not risk it.

They are speaking of mechanical seals. Do not use petroleum on
mechanical seals. Use glycerin

you paint the inside of your pumps?

No, but Silicone residue is mostly invisible and hard to get rid of.
If silicone use becomes standard procedure for lubrication around
the house then expect the residue to end up on painted surfaces.
If it ends up on painted surfaces you should expect problematic paint
jobs.

Kurt Ullman October 20th 08 09:25 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

In article ,
wrote:

i have also read that some o-rings will disintegrate if used with oil based
lubricants;

Please Quote. Vaseline is 100% compatible with O-rings.

Especially since fire codes

Kurt Ullman October 20th 08 10:50 PM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

i have also read that some o-rings will disintegrate if used with oil
based
lubricants;

Please Quote. Vaseline is 100% compatible with O-rings.

Especially since fire codes

would be nice if I could hit the close command instead of post...

bq340[_2_] October 20th 08 11:28 PM

S.Daley wrote:
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

I recommend plumbers grease, it is much tackier then most lubes & lasts
much longer before washing/wiping away.

bq340[_2_] October 20th 08 11:40 PM

wrote:
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD
Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

What if the OP's pump body is plastic? The lube has to be compatible
with all the material it contacts....

[email protected] October 21st 08 12:27 AM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:40:07 -0400, bq340 wrote:

wrote:
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD
Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

What if the OP's pump body is plastic? The lube has to be compatible
with all the material it contacts....

The question was about O-rings. Not plastic.
Most plastics fair well will petroleum.

dpb October 21st 08 01:22 AM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

The small amounts of Vaseline that may enter the water will cause no
harm. Vaseline is non toxic.

I didn't say it was harmful, I said it wasn't approved for potable water
systems...

I was lit up a few months ago by somebody else on the other way 'round
when I suggested it for the water filter o-rings. So, thinking same
way you did/do, I looked it up and it is _not_ listed for internal use.

That said, I personally still use it but no longer recommend it in
usenet postings for the purpose...

Mortimer Schnerd, RN October 21st 08 01:26 AM

"MLD" wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I
was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the
petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon
grease.

A little goes a long ways. We would apply enough to make the ring appear
wet.... but not enough to leave any excess glop on the ring.

Food grade silicon grease was available from restaurant supply houses. Dive
shops sometimes had it as well. And silicon spray is NOT the same as the
grease; it won't last nearly as long.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

[email protected] October 21st 08 02:05 AM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:26:55 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

"MLD" wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I
was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the
petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon
grease.

They were wrong as far as O-ring compatibility. Perhaps the valve or
other material is what is in question, not the O-ring.

[email protected] October 21st 08 02:11 AM

"MLD" wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I
was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the
petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon
grease.

EPDM rubber is not compatible with Vaseline. Is this what scuba gear
uses? It may be because respirators use it. This is the same type of
rubber that automotive door seals are made of.

EPDM is not used as O-ring material in pumps.

[email protected] October 21st 08 02:31 AM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:36:24 -0400, wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and- Butyl- rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

Correction: Change -Butyl- to Buna-n

The Daring Dufas[_4_] October 21st 08 02:44 AM

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
"MLD" wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?
Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I
was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the
petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon
grease.

A little goes a long ways. We would apply enough to make the ring appear
wet.... but not enough to leave any excess glop on the ring.

Food grade silicon grease was available from restaurant supply houses. Dive
shops sometimes had it as well. And silicon spray is NOT the same as the
grease; it won't last nearly as long.

A little hint about silicon/silicone. I wish to hell people
would learn the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

TDD

Ed Pawlowski October 21st 08 03:30 AM

wrote in message
You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't
needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone?

Silicone, of course, It is inert and will pass through the digestive system.
That is one reason silicone is used for medical devices with body contact.

Petroleum jelly is used on cosmetics and on cuts because it is safe too.
Lots of uses for it.
http://www.gomestic.com/Homemaking/2...um-Jelly.37106
Not to mention as a cheap sex lubricant

[email protected] October 21st 08 05:49 AM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:43:18 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

I do. Petroleum and Butyl rubber are completely compatible.
Use of Vaseline on Buna-n O-rings is a standard procedure.

the manual for my pool pump said to use silicone grease. i know rtfm is
against the guy rules though....

Definitely RTM wasn't part of my Male Manual LOL..

SD

[email protected] October 21st 08 05:51 AM

Regarding O-Rings Lubricating..

Thanks for the link Ed..

SD

Tony Hwang October 21st 08 05:54 AM

S.Daley wrote:
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Hi,
Food grade Lubriplate?

[email protected] October 21st 08 05:59 AM

"MLD" wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring

Back in the day when I was learning how to rebuild scuba regulators and valves I
was warned NEVER to use petroleum jelly or oil on a rubber o-ring as the
petroleum products would eventually attack and destroy rubber. We used silicon
grease.

A little goes a long ways. We would apply enough to make the ring appear
wet.... but not enough to leave any excess glop on the ring.

Food grade silicon grease was available from restaurant supply houses. Dive
shops sometimes had it as well. And silicon spray is NOT the same as the
grease; it won't last nearly as long.

My Scuba instructor reffered to the lube he recommended as rubber
food, way back in the day. That was probably silicon grease.

[email protected] October 21st 08 09:04 AM

wrote:

wrote in message
You can use silicone grease but it is more costly and really isn't
needed. What would you rather ingest? Vaseline or Silicone?

Silicone, of course, It is inert and will pass through the digestive system.
That is one reason silicone is used for medical devices with body contact.

In the context of a lubricants that may be ingested Vaseline is pure
and Silicone lubricant is not. Silicone lubricant has unknown added
ingredients that would make me hesitate.

[email protected] October 22nd 08 06:17 AM

"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

Thanks MLD, I will be using Silicone grease..

SD

Larry[_2_] October 22nd 08 06:46 AM

"RLM" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:32:43 +0000, S.Daley wrote:

Any suggestions for lubricating O-Rings that are used for water pumps,
basically I want to extend useful life as much as possible. Someone
suggested lithium grease?

SD

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)

I don't think so---will eventually ruin the O ring
mld

Thanks MLD, I will be using Silicone grease..

SD
***

Google "o ring grease" - You'll get all the info you need