DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   House painting - price estimate (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/262333-house-painting-price-estimate.html)

[email protected] October 11th 08 12:11 AM

House painting - price estimate

I’m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house
painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro.
A couple of pics of the house:

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22
http://hous.shutterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

Sam October 11th 08 01:57 AM

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22http://...tterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

Probably $3000 or More that is of course with a licensed
contractor.Which you would want For liability purposes!
John
http://www.myinfoviews.com/

Red Green October 11th 08 02:59 AM

House painting - price estimate

wrote in news:3374136c-3f66-45de-a760-ac6fbc5284d0
@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

I’m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house
painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro.
A couple of pics of the house:

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22
http://hous.shutterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

What a painting nightmare. All those thick high shrubs. I have no idea
what it will cost but you can bet there's gonna be a premium for working
around them!

Red Green October 11th 08 03:20 AM

House painting - price estimate

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:A%THk.2230$W06.1799
@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

wrote in message
I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

I'd do it for $400

I'll do it for 350 if the shrubs get torched first. I wanna be the one who
torches 'em though. And hey, if you want the soffits evergreen black I can
probably skim another 25 off.

[email protected] October 11th 08 03:56 AM

House painting - price estimate

end the painting forever, with alunimum soffit and fascia, etc.

do it once do it right, and relax

greg2468 October 11th 08 04:03 AM

On Oct 10, 7:11*pm, wrote:
I’m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house
painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro.
A couple of pics of the house:

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22http://...tterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

It is impossible to give an honest estimate without looking at the
house in person. How much prep is needed? (Caulking, sanding,
priming, scraping) One coat of paint or two? Are those shrubs going
to be cut back? What brand of paint would you like? Get estimates
from local people (hopefully from ones who don,t hire illegals). The
lowest estimate is not always the best deal. Ask your neighbors for
referrals.

aemeijers October 11th 08 04:22 AM

wrote:
end the painting forever, with alunimum soffit and fascia, etc.

do it once do it right, and relax

Yeah, and watch the trapped water rot the wood out, like on this place.
Not a fan of skinning wood, at least not if you don't make damn sure to
provide drain holes. If you go that route, REPLACE the fascia with
plastic wood, and take down the old soffit and build back with
ventilated alumimum, sloped properly so it doesn't aim water at the
wall. I'd like to go back in time and beat the SOB that 'improved' this
place. When/if I get around to it, it is gonna cost me a lot of bucks to
make it right.

But as to OP's question- how long do you want it to last? The painting
part is trivial- the hand labor to do the prep work and spot repair and
priming adds up quick. Local handyman may charge a few hundred to throw
paint up there, while a pro painter will take 2 weeks to do the work
right, and charge upwards of $1500 (swag number). Like the others said,
get several estimates, and make sure they all include scraping, feather
sanding, priming, epoxy-stabilizing or replacing any mushy spots, etc, etc.

--
aem sends...

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada October 11th 08 04:26 AM

House painting - price estimate

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:57:14 -0700 (PDT), Sam
wrote:

On Oct 10, 4:11Â*pm, wrote:
[...]

You want an INSURED contractor. In many areas licencing is totally
optional.

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada October 11th 08 04:40 AM

House painting - price estimate

:

[...]

I'd agree - those tall ones need to go. And for the cost of painting
it twice with good paint you can have aluminum soffit, fascia, and
gable siding and nevever have to paint it again in your lifetime. We
had the aluminum siding on our house repainted this year after 38
years. The painter remarked on how nice it was NOT to have tall shrubs
against the house (just a cherry tree that needed to be trimmed back a
bit) House is a 2 story with brick veneer bottom and aluminm siding
top, and aluminum siding on attached garage.
Cost us $1700 for 2 coats of 3rd generation latex - no soffits
(recently done in vinyl)

ransley October 11th 08 02:49 PM

On Oct 10, 6:11*pm, wrote:
I’m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house
painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro.
A couple of pics of the house:

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22http://...tterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

Nobody knows the condition of the paint so nobody can bid it, but it
seems you dont care about a quality job and think its only just paint
that it needs. There isnt much to paint, who knows about prep.Those
bushes and trees are ugly, hide everything, make work expensive and
keep in moisture, do some work.

krw[_3_] October 11th 08 04:59 PM

House painting - price estimate

In article , clare at
snyder dot ontario dot canada says...
wrote:

On Oct 10, 4:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

Is any community stupid enough to require licensing of painters
(other than general business licensing)?

--
Keith

SteveB October 11th 08 08:04 PM

House painting - price estimate

t...
wrote:

On Oct 10, 4:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

They gave up on that in the late 1800s when they made it a law that in order
to get a license, the applicant had to show up at city hall sober. Painters
didn't qualify.

Steve

Sam October 12th 08 02:21 AM

wrote:

On Oct 10, 4:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey painters have to be licensed by the state contractor licensing
Board!!

[email protected] October 12th 08 05:49 AM

Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I’m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house
painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro.
A couple of pics of the house:

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22
http://hous.shutterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

So tell me.............how does asking someone on the internet who
doesnt have a clue that pulls a number out of their ass make you an
informed customer??
Wouldnt getting a couple estimates from contractors in your area that
actually come out and look at your house give you a much better idea
of what you should pay for painting your house?
Bubba

You know you can't trust contractors to give a fair price! He needs to
be able to bargain the painters down.
And why is licensing and insurance so damned important? I'll bet you
could get a much better price from someone who doesn't have the added
expense of insurance. And if he has a license, he would have to follow
all those regulations. Shortcuts mean a better price for you.
Trust me. Look for the guy in the raggedy clothes and the old rusty
truck and maybe doesn't speaka da english so good.. He doesn't have high
expenses and thus needs less money to live. He's desperate and will give
you a great price and an almost as good as the expensivel licensed,
insured robber.......oops, I mean contractor.

Been painting forever October 12th 08 11:41 PM

House painting - price estimate

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I’m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house
painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro.
A couple of pics of the house:

http://hous.shutterfly.com/22
http://hous.shutterfly.com/25

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we’re talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

I know it’s hard to give an estimate given the above vague
description, but I’m looking for a ballpark number, so I’m an informed
customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA,
Bubba

Personlly I think anyone that paints a brick house is a complete
dumbass, but then that's just me!

Edwin Pawlowski October 13th 08 03:20 AM

Been painting forever wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we're talking about the soffit,
the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there,
you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car
garage.

TIA,
Bubba

Personlly I think anyone that paints a brick house is a complete
dumbass, but then that's just me!

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

aemeijers October 13th 08 03:25 AM

[...]

Good that you know what you are. OP was asking about painting the WOOD
TRIM, GABLES, and SOFFITS on a brick house.

--
aem sends...

Ralph Mowery October 13th 08 04:26 AM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Personlly I think anyone that paints a brick house is a complete
dumbass, but then that's just me!

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Have them done in a material that does not need painting.
That is what I did.

Edwin Pawlowski October 13th 08 01:01 PM

House painting - price estimate

been painting forever wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:20:27 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Soffits and door jambs aren't brick you frickin nimrod.

Well, that is the only part he wanted painted you imbecile

[email protected] October 13th 08 02:06 PM

On Oct 12, 10:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

cover everything with alunimum trim and no more painting ever.

Been painting forever October 13th 08 03:46 PM

House painting - price estimate

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:01:05 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Soffits and door jambs aren't brick you frickin nimrod.

Well, that is the only part he wanted painted you imbecile

no **** idiot, again, anyone that paints a brick house is a dumbass.
What part of that do you not get you tard?

aemeijers October 13th 08 04:44 PM

wrote:

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Soffits and door jambs aren't brick you frickin nimrod.

Well, that is the only part he wanted painted you imbecile

no **** idiot, again, anyone that paints a brick house is a dumbass.
What part of that do you not get you tard?

Sounds like somebody has been mixing solvents in an enclosed space, again.

[email protected] October 23rd 08 04:29 AM

wrote:

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Soffits and door jambs aren't brick you frickin nimrod.

Well, that is the only part he wanted painted you imbecile

no **** idiot, again, anyone that paints a brick house is a dumbass.
What part of that do you not get you tard?

Why don't you just say, "Oops. Sorry. I misunderstood the OP?" instead
of being a defensive jack-ass?