Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Default Heatalator help

I have a fireplace with a Heatalator. Years ago it was converted to
gas log, which is almost useless for heating. I want to convert it
back to wood, but I am not sure the Heatalator is safe. Advice much
appreciated!

Here is the setup:

Fireplace has a folding glass front with vents at top and bottom that
are not adjustable. Also a hole at the back to dump ashes, with a
steel plate cover. Below the dump hole, ashes accumulate in a
crawlspace. In the crawlspace now is a pile of old ashes on a slab,
the ashes piled directly against against wood timbers. On either
side of the fireplace are vertical slots between the fire box and
fireplace facade. Those slots apparently open into the wood framing
around the fireplace and into the crawlspace. Rodents used to nest
in the fireplace; currently the vertical slots are stuffed with
steel wool to discourage rodents. The chimney has a damper, totally
illegal in a gas fireplace but blocked open.

The heatalator has air intake vents below the hearth, and out vents
in the mantle above the fireplace. There is a low power electric
fan inside each intake.

This fireplace seems unsafe for wood fires. Is it in fact unsafe?

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 1:23*pm, (Una) wrote:
[...]

It certainly doesn't sound safe. But how do you expect to get an
answer to that, without anyone being able to see it? Even if you
took good pictures, would you be comfortable with an answer if we said
yes?

Get a qualified inspector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Una" wrote in message ...

I have a fireplace with a Heatalator. Years ago it was converted to
gas log, which is almost useless for heating. I want to convert it
back to wood, but I am not sure the Heatalator is safe. Advice much
appreciated! . . .
This fireplace seems unsafe for wood fires. Is it in fact unsafe?

Your insurance broker is probably obligated to tell you but probably
lacks the technical knowledge (and if in doubt may cancel your
fire insurance.) Because of the importance of fire safety codes
(the only part of the building code applied retroactively where I
live) you can get free advice about this from the municipal building
permits office. You might need a permit anyway to alter your
fireplace. The BPO can also tell you whether you can do the
work yourself or must hire a qualified contractor.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

wrote:
It certainly doesn't sound safe. But how do you expect to get an
answer to that, without anyone being able to see it?

Does the configuration I described sound like a normal installation
of one of these heatilator/heatalator things? (By the way, it was
built in, not a retrofit.)

Get a qualified inspector.

Uh, have had two already. Their qualified replies: "uh...um...".

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Don Phillipson wrote: