Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cure time before painting drywall

I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Dennis
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dennis wrote:
I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Dennis

The fact that a lawyer wrote the warning???

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 10:07*am, (Dennis) wrote:
I did something unusual for me. . . . *Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. * *It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. * I've never done that and never had a
problem. * I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. * Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. * What am I missing?

Dennis

I've never waited that long either with good results even when I used
the heavy (green pail) mud. Run a dehumidifier in the room for 5 days
if not sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dennis wrote:

I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Dennis

I've seen standard 30 day cure advice for new plaster and masonry. Is
this a latex primer
specifically for new drywall? Oil base? Brand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dennis" wrote in message
I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Dennis

I have never had a problem where regular, pre-mixed mud was used.

I have experienced some minor problems when the setting type mud was used.
I suspect that a wait time for that is advisable.

For sure I know you need to let new plaster cure. Maybe not the full 30 but
at least 14 days of dry air.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 10:07*am, (Dennis) wrote:
I did something unusual for me. . . . *Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. * *It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. * I've never done that and never had a
problem. * I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. * Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. * What am I missing?

Dennis

If mud is thoroughly dry go for it, maybe less than a day , depends on
temp-humidity conditions. 30 days is for real plaster and concrete not
USG drywall compound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:10:36 -0400, LouB wrote:

Dennis wrote:
I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Dennis

The fact that a lawyer wrote the warning???

Lou

That was my first guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 12:50:05 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

Dennis wrote:

I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Dennis

I've seen standard 30 day cure advice for new plaster and masonry. Is
this a latex primer
specifically for new drywall? Oil base? Brand?

PVA latex drywall primer from Ace Hardware

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since my experience on and off for 25 years tells me not to worry
about it, and others have similar experience, that's what I'll do.
I'll wait a couple days for good measure.

Thanks, All.

Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:07:17 GMT, (Dennis) wrote:

I did something unusual for me. . . . Actually read the paint can
before priming my newly installed drywall. It says I should wait 30
days for the wall to cure. I've never done that and never had a
problem. I've always just waited for the shade of moisture to
disappear from the mud and then painted. Never have had a problem
with wear or cohesion. What am I missing?

Waiting 30 days for a "cure" is absolutely ridiculous, especially
since normal air-dry joint compound doesn't "cure" anyway. It doens't
matter though, because if anything the curing type of joint compound
can be painted over even faster - that is part of the point of it.

Anyway, I'd definitely wait a little long for the "shade of moisture"
to disappear. I'd wait until it was really dry, normally at least 24
hours depending on temp and humidity. But even if you didn't wait, it
shouldn't cause a problem since these are both water-based air-dry
components. It would still finish drying even if painted over.

Anyway, wait a day and then go for it, less than a day if in a pinch.

Most of my projects were at a leisurely pace. I liked to let stuff dry for
a long time, sometimes up to two weeks. But that was scheduling, and not
intentional. As said, you can paint a lot sooner than thirty days. I like
to leave it dry for at least a couple of days, more if I forget.

Steve

penofin: smell and cure time [email protected] Woodworking 6 July 24th 08 07:14 AM
Liquid PTFE cure time? Styx UK diy 5 April 8th 08 08:40 PM
Painting drywall big e lewis Home Repair 22 November 16th 07 06:58 PM
Driveway refinishing cure time? Shaun Eli Home Repair 2 July 9th 06 04:31 PM
time for wood floor to cure? Lisa Woodworking 2 April 13th 05 05:59 AM