DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Maintanince on furnace..etc. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261605-maintanince-furnace-etc.html)

jazz September 30th 08 05:10 AM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

How often do you get your furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

Joe September 30th 08 05:47 AM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Sep 30, 12:10 am, jazz wrote:
How often do you get your furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

I pay yearly for my boiler to be serviced every year, I was told it
makes it much more efficient and pays for itself by cutting down on
fuel usage. I also wonder if it would be more economical to get a
service contract.

Frank September 30th 08 12:28 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Sep 30, 12:10*am, jazz wrote:
How often do you get your *furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. *I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended *service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

Heard an HVAC guy say that oil furnaces should be serviced annually
but it is OK to go a few years with gas.

ransley September 30th 08 01:10 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Sep 29, 11:10*pm, jazz wrote:
How often do you get your *furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. *I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended *service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

AC and oil yearly, gas every few years unless the flame is not blue.
What gets overlooked is the AC coil inside, often it is sealed up but
mold and dirt will affect heating performance by reducing airflow.
Poor fitting air filters or cheap and neglected filters allow dirt to
pass through clogging things up

Moe Jones September 30th 08 01:44 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
How often do you get your furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

I am retired from the business and you should have any A/C and Heating
system check before you use them to make sure all is safe to operate.
When it comes to a extended service plan all I can say if you trust your A/C
& Heating company, the plan is good for you and for them but if you do not
trust the company then it can bite you on the butt. I would use them on some
simple jobs and then see if they were fair and honest to you.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

ransley September 30th 08 03:03 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Sep 30, 7:44*am, "Moe Jones" wrote:
jazz wrote:
How often do you get your *furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. *I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended *service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

I am retired from the business and you should have any A/C and Heating
system check before you use them to make sure all is safe to operate.
When it comes to a extended service plan all I can say if you trust your A/C
& Heating company, the plan is good for you and for them but if you do not
trust the company then it can bite you on the butt. I would use them on some
simple jobs and then see if they were fair and honest to you.
--
Moe Joneshttp://www.MoeJones.info

Safe? If the furnace runs and you have a Co detector what is unsafe.
Yearly maintenance on a Ng furnace is a waste of money if you can
check filters and flame condition.

Moe Jones September 30th 08 07:54 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

Not only cracked heat exchanger but what about gas leaks, electrical
problems, bearings, over all condition of the furnace. In my years of
working on them you would be surprised in finding problems after only one
year. I have seen people stack cardboard box right up to the furnace and by
the time I got there the boxes had started in discoloring due to the heat
plus allot of the times you can find a small problem that can easily be
repaired before it turned into a large problem.
If you can check the flame condition them most likely you would not need a
service tech. but if you do not know about what your furnace and what to
look like then do not take a chance in letting your furnace go for a number
of years.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

N8N September 30th 08 09:54 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Sep 30, 12:47*am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:10 am, jazz wrote:

How often do you get your *furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. *I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended *service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

I pay yearly for my boiler to be serviced every year, I was told it
makes it much more efficient and pays for itself by cutting down on
fuel usage. I also wonder if it would be more economical to get a
service contract.

In my area, you can't get a service call unless you have a service
contract. found that out the hard way one night when my igniter
failed. Hadn't been in the house long enough to have stashed away a
spare, had to stay up most of the night moving around space heaters to
keep everything from freezing until the stores opened in the AM.

In retrospect, I wonder if I'd cranked the thermostat up to 85 degrees
or something and then ran down real fast and lit the burners with a
fireplace match if that would have allowed me to heat the house up
enough to get a couple hours sleep before it cooled down enough to
force me to relight it, but I'd probably have blown myself up...

nate

jazz September 30th 08 09:57 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

Hi,

What is your opinion on AC ( use it only for 4 weeks out of a year)
and Gas fireplace. How often should they be
maintained.

THanks

Old AC Guy October 1st 08 04:15 AM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:03:29 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

Safe? If the furnace runs and you have a Co detector what is unsafe.
Yearly maintenance on a Ng furnace is a waste of money if you can
check filters and flame condition.

Then I guess I just wasted my money buying a combustion analyzer, co
meter, vom, magnahelic, manometer, and assorted handtools. You're a
****ing moron.

Tony Hwang October 1st 08 04:22 AM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

How about making sure it runs at peak efficiency? I guess you
don't/won't do anything about your car either as long as it runs?

ransley October 1st 08 04:20 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

don't/won't do anything about your car either as long as it runs?- Hide quoted text -

For my Lennox with a 4" media filter and being able to see the flame I
dont need yearly maintenance, my installer and neighbor installer told
me this, and i have found it true. If you dont know anything about
equipment, use a cheap filter system or have a old unit you can
benefit as many folks dont know or do any maintenance, I have a staem
boiler checked ever year but not my HW boiler or furnace, as I said If
you have a good air filter that is maintained and can see the flames
condition, and the unit is not real old yearly inspection I find
usualy ends up a waste of money, the AC and coil I do believe yearly
maintenance is required. Bubba wants everyone to believe that a
furnace with AC needs 2 inspections yearly, You can do it all usualy
with your AC check on a furnace.

ransley October 1st 08 04:25 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

wrote:

Safe? If the furnace runs and you have a Co detector what is unsafe.
Yearly maintenance on a Ng furnace is a waste of money if you can
check filters and flame condition.

Then I guess I just wasted my money buying a *combustion analyzer, co
meter, vom, magnahelic, manometer, and assorted handtools. You're a
****ing moron.

Yea and tell me the last customer you used a mamometer, magnahelic, on
his "yearly checkup" Yr a ****ing crook. Or you would be charging
300+ for a "tune up" and no sucker would bite.

ransley October 1st 08 04:30 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Sep 30, 6:48*am, Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:28:13 -0700 (PDT), Frank

wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:10*am, jazz wrote:
How often do you get your *furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. *I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended *service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

Heard an HVAC guy say that oil furnaces should be serviced annually
but it is OK to go a few years with gas.

Nope. Wrong. It all gets serviced annually. Read your
installation/service manual. Most are not even recommending and
requiring that they be serviced annually to keep your warranty in
effect. Its all in print. Read it for yourself.
Bubba

Oh and Bubbaass mr greenteeth, My Lennox Installer- Dealer said Yearly
Maintenance is NOT REQUIRED. Go back to the hole
alt.hvachackingisawayoflifeweknow****.com

ransley October 1st 08 05:29 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

You're still a friggin idiot Ransley. You still dont understand the
operation of fueled combustion.
I can put a furnace in your home with a hole in the heat exchanger big
enough to put your fat head through and I can still make it burn with
no CO. Then one cold night while you are asleep, the conditions are
just right (temp, humidity, etc) and all of a sudden the unit produces
enough CO to kill you in only a very short time
You really are a dangerous idiot.
Again I'll quote. Read your owners manual. Almost all will tell you to
have yearly maintenance and it can affect your warranty.
I really dont think all those manufacturers are putting that in print
because they feel sorry for us hvac guys and want us to line our
pockets with tune up money. Tune ups themselves are NOT money makers.
Take your tin-foil hat off Ransley. Its affecting your brain waves
beamed in from Mars.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Is that what you do Bubba, business is that bad you have to Bull****
and LIE to all your customers their warranty is at risk, unless they
have you out every heat season turn on for a fee. Are you calling my
authorised AO Smith, Weil McLain and Lennox installers - dealers
incompetants, and that they putting me at risk.

jazz October 1st 08 09:57 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

BTW_ my mother was told she needs yearly maintenace on her gas
fireplace. I started to investigate
and found that many people never get one done. What is the deal with
this-? I live in apt and don't know
anything about this stuff. Is she getting ripped off ?

Thanks for all your comments.

Moe Jones October 2nd 08 04:55 PM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

On your A/C I would recommend that you also have it checked once a year but
a way to save some money is have the service tech. show you what to look for
on your system. Now I know you will not have the gages and such but you can
tell alot about your system by touching the suction and liquid line and just
opening the control panel and looking inside.
--
Moe Jones

http://www.MoeJones.info

jazz October 3rd 08 12:00 AM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

jazz wrote:
[...]

Thanks - that is good way to approach it.

ransley October 3rd 08 01:45 AM

Maintanince on furnace..etc.

On Oct 1, 6:21*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 07:23:56 -0700 (PDT), ransley

jazz wrote:
[...]

So you say you can put in a furnace in a home with a big hole in the
exchanger, what kind of crooked hack are you, and tell us all how a Co
detector wont detect the leak, that would be interesting to know HOW
you can hide defective units. Tune ups are bull **** as to needing to
be done every year, as I said for Ng furnaces IF your air filter keeps
out dirt. Or keep dreamin and lying to yourself and clients to justify
your lack of business

Ok Ranting Ransley. Im going to show you and everyone in here AGAIN
how ****ing stupid you are.
First off, the furnace with the hole would be the one I would install
in YOUR home as I would stick YOUR head in the hole to show you how
big the hole in the heat exchanger actually is. Then I would show you
how my professional Bacharach Carbon Monoxide detector reads nearly
0ppm (parts per million) of CO while it is running. Yes thats right. A
hole in a heat exchanger does NOT mean it will produce CO. CO is
produced by unburned or poorly burned fuel. A hole in a heat exchanger
does NOT always burn poorly but its a good bet that it will at
sometime. I dont know where you came up with the idea that a CO
detector will show or detect a leak, crack or hole in a heat
exchanger. IT DOES NOT!
As far as the air filter, it keeps the air clean. It helps protect the
blower motor, blower wheel, any primary or secondary heat exchanger
and inlet side of the cooling coil. The air filter does NOT do ****
for the way a burner of any type works in a furnace. Its the same
reason a car needs a new fuel filter, pcv, spark plugs etc. The burner
has to be checked and tuned each year to make sure all is well and
nothing has changed from the prior year.
Now here is the best dumb ass. You want to see why a system needs to
be maintained professionally each year?
Check out this link to Tempstar and read the 5th paragraph labeled
"Protecting your Warranty". Pay particular attention to the 3rd word
"REQUIRED" *in that paragraph.http://www.tempstar.com/t-warranty.html

And finally you dip**** retard Ransley............Id suggest if you
want to match words you might want to pick on something you actually
know something about and dont try it with a professional in the hvac
field such as myself.
YES, you can now "BITE ME" you asswipe.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

I bet you would install a defect anywhere, do you contact all you
installs telling them their warranty is in jepordy if they dont have
you out for 100$ cleaning. You are the kind of guy that might just put
a hole in a furnace to make a sale.