Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub stain

My vinyl? some kind of not porcelain ? bathtub has a nasty blackish
stain on the narrow front ledge just under the faucets. I have
applied mildewcide several times. Also applied bleach. Also tried
SofScrub. Nada.

I don't know what the stain could be from.

Is there anything else I can try?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 10:51*pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
My vinyl? some kind of not porcelain ? *bathtub has a nasty blackish
stain on the narrow front ledge just under the faucets. *I have
applied mildewcide several times. *Also applied bleach. *Also tried
SofScrub. *Nada.

I don't know what the stain could be from.

Is there anything else I can try?

I would guess you have a fiberglass tub and you might try one of
the products make just for that. Keep in mind that it may not be
removable and that using the wrong products on it can damage the
finish making matters worse. However I would guess the products you
have used should normally be fiberglass safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:51:08 -0700 (PDT), Artful Dodger
wrote:

My vinyl? some kind of not porcelain ? bathtub has a nasty blackish
stain on the narrow front ledge just under the faucets. I have
applied mildewcide several times. Also applied bleach. Also tried
SofScrub. Nada.

I don't know what the stain could be from.

Is there anything else I can try?

CLR. But, you may want to investigate a possible slow leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:
On Sep 5, 10:51 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:

My vinyl? some kind of not porcelain ? bathtub has a nasty blackish
stain on the narrow front ledge just under the faucets. I have
applied mildewcide several times. Also applied bleach. Also tried
SofScrub. Nada.

I don't know what the stain could be from.

Is there anything else I can try?

I would guess you have a fiberglass tub and you might try one of
the products make just for that. Keep in mind that it may not be
removable and that using the wrong products on it can damage the
finish making matters worse. However I would guess the products you
have used should normally be fiberglass safe.

Yep, that's it -- fiberglas.

I should add that stain runs along the seam that connects tub to wall.
The rest of the "seam" doesn't show that stain.

This might tie in with comment by another poster about possible water
leak.

(a) I keep faucets firmly closed. So how/why would water leak
create blackish stain on the *outside* rather than in the wall (sob!)

(b) If true, what do I need to do (sob!) ?

I will look for fiberglas cleaning prods, but not much hope,
considering what I have already tried.

Tx to all, and I welcome more thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 9:52 am, Artful Dodger wrote:
On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:

[...]

Update: I tried mildewcide one more time. N.G.
I got sodisgusted I took an old screwdriver to the
grout, and guess what? The tub is perfectly clean.
It was the GROUT that was stained.

OK, I now face the disagreeable job of removing
the grout and replacing it, which I'm not very
good at.

But it does raise the question: Why did the mildewcide
not work on the grout?

Inquiring minds...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:

[...]

The mildew was behind/under the caulk? Common problem, due to
insufficient cleaning before caulking. I assume that you meant to say
that you
removed caulk from between tub and wall? If so, Clean it EXTREMELY well
(and carefully so's not to
scratch the fiberglass). Then wipe with denatured alcohol to get grease
off. Dry. Wipe joint with
full strength bleach. Let dry. Apply new silicone caulk.

A nylon scrubber (not 3M abrasive stuff) with full strength Dawn dish
detergent should get all of your
soap scum off fiberglass. Rinse, dry. Scrubbing Bubbles is a great
cleaner, too S.B. is the best tub/tile
cleaner I have ever used - wish I had discovered it long ago. Even used
it on the kitchen cabinets, floor
and fridge )
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:

[...]

and fridge )- Hide quoted text -

Ditto to above and there is a tool for the removal of grout to use on
a drill or dremel has worked good for me, Mildewcide only works on the
surface of the grout as a rule pleach is the best for killing it
mildew that is .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:

[...]

No, actually WITHIN it, is the only way I can express it.

Common problem, due to
insufficient cleaning before caulking.

Puzzling thing is that the caulk was in place for YEARS before that
blackish-grey
stain began to appear.

I assume that you meant to say
that you
removed caulk from between tub and wall?

Basically, yes. Due to my poor caulking skills, quite a bit of
overlap
lay on the tub surface.

If so, Clean it EXTREMELY well
(and carefully so's not to
scratch the fiberglass). Then wipe with denatured alcohol to get grease
off. Dry. Wipe joint with
full strength bleach. Let dry. Apply new silicone caulk.

A nylon scrubber (not 3M abrasive stuff) with full strength Dawn dish
detergent should get all of your
soap scum off fiberglass.

So many people mention Dawn! Can it really be any different than
all the other liquid dish soaps??

Rinse, dry. Scrubbing Bubbles is a great
cleaner, too S.B. is the best tub/tile
cleaner I have ever used - wish I had discovered it long ago. Even used
it on the kitchen cabinets, floor
and fridge )

Will look it up. I've lately been using Greased Lightning, that my
helper
recommended after I had surgery. Anybody can compare GL with SB?
I'd be interested in your experience.

Thanks for step-by-step rundown on cleaning & prep before new caulk.

I guess everybody has their favorite brand? What's yours -- keeping
in mind tub is fiberglas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:

[...]

Is it worth my while to buy that tool for my drill? Any ballpark $$?

Tx for suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 6, 4:11 am, wrote:

[...]

Tx for suggestion.- Hide quoted text -

I find it much faster to do all of the tub surround and the tile work
associated with it I believe last one cost me 12 dollars at Rona here
in Canada so for what it is worth beats picking it out by hand .
Remember this will have to be done again in the future it is the
nature of silcone and soap and water mould . The best secret I know is
get the best high output fan you can and dry the room out as fast
after the shower as you can, don't let it sit wet as this is when the
mould will start dry is the key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
jim wrote:

Ditto to above and there is a tool for the removal of grout to use on
a drill or dremel has worked good for me, Mildewcide only works on the
surface of the grout as a rule pleach is the best for killing it
mildew that is .

What *is* this tool you can use in a drill or dremel, that makes
it much easier to remove the grout?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair