Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many 12/3 cables in 1/2" (trade) Greenfield?

I am having difficulty understanding and applying the NEC tables I
have seen online to cables containing more than one conductor.

Is there any simple rule that says how many 12/3 Romex cables you can
put in flexible conduit (Greenfield)?

Specifically, what trade size flexible conduit would I need to carry 2
12/3 Romex cables? What size for 3 12/3 cables?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One more clarification...

The flexible metal conduit is only being used to "protect" the wires
in the vertical drop from their run along my basement ceiling joists to the
waist-level outlet boxes -- approximately 4 ft total length. The rest
of the run is pure Romex (and appropriate bushings are used to protect
the wire where it enters the flex conduit and where the flex conduit
attaches to the 4x4 outlet box).
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman writes:
I am having difficulty understanding and applying the NEC tables I
have seen online to cables containing more than one conductor.

Is there any simple rule that says how many 12/3 Romex cables you can
put in flexible conduit (Greenfield)?

Specifically, what trade size flexible conduit would I need to carry 2
12/3 Romex cables? What size for 3 12/3 cables?

Thanks!

I'm guessing that 3/4" for two and 1" for three 12/2's. Keep in mind that
the greenfield will need to be terminated at one end in a grounded metal box
as all metal conduit carrying live wires needs to be grounded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-09-02, blueman wrote:

OOPS - just to clarify I meant 12/2 (plus ground) not 12/3.

12/3 (round) cable actually has a smaller diameter than 12/2 (flat)
cable. So you may consider using 12/3 for that reason.

Cheers, Wayne