Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water damage?

I have some substance leaking out from around the tile surrounding my
bath tub. It's kind of yellowish and more solid than liquid. I have
a tile cleaning company come out and the guy thinks it's water
damage. How would I know for sure?
Posted to alt.home.repair

PeterL wrote:
I have some substance leaking out from around the tile surrounding my
bath tub. It's kind of yellowish and more solid than liquid. I have
a tile cleaning company come out and the guy thinks it's water
damage. How would I know for sure?

The guy could be right, but I would trust more the opinion of a plumber.
Is that a smokers' house? Is that yellowish stuff seeping through he
tiles ? Do you have access to the tub drain? That's where I would start.

Also, you could try pouring some dye and water in each drain, bath tub
and toilette, one at a time and then wait, say, a couple of hours to see
if the color shows up around the tiles. Of course don't use yellow dye...

I wouldn't wait too long though. If the leakage gets bigger you can face
some serious and expensive damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 3:14*pm, Chris wrote:
PeterL wrote:
I have some substance leaking out from around the tile surrounding my
bath tub. *It's kind of yellowish and more solid than liquid. *I have
a tile cleaning company come out and the guy thinks it's water
damage. *How would I know for sure? *

The guy could be right, but I would trust more the opinion of a plumber.
* Is that a smokers' house? Is that yellowish stuff seeping through he
tiles ? Do you have access to the tub drain? That's where I would start.

Also, you could try pouring some dye *and water in each drain, bath tub
and toilette, one at a time and then wait, say, a couple of hours to see
* if *the color shows up around the tiles. Of course don't use yellow dye...

I wouldn't wait too long though. If the leakage gets bigger you can face
some serious and expensive damage.

The yellowish stuff is along the edge between the tile and the bath
tub. thing is we never use the tub, only a separate shower. It's not
liquid at all, but rather like a hard deposit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PeterL wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:14 pm, Chris wrote:
PeterL wrote:
[...]

What happens after you clean it up, does it show up again? How soon?
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

The yellowish stuff is along the edge between the tile and the bath
tub. thing is we never use the tub, only a separate shower. It's not
liquid at all, but rather like a hard deposit.

Termite poop?