Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing: Do Nail Pops Require Tear Off?

I have a basic side gable roof, consisting of a single layer of ~20
year old standard three-tab asphalt shingles over 3/4" T&G sheathing.

There are a number of nail pops that have lifted some tabs and some
that have actually punched through. There are a couple of spots where
the sheathing has gotten wet which I have dealt with by banging the
nails down and smearing roofing tar on the holes while I get some
estimates.

One contractor told me that while he is surprised that I have nail
pops in T&G sheathing, he is confident that he can pound the nails
back down and add a layer of architectural shingles, avoiding a tear
off.

My obvious concern is the possibility of *future* nail pops in other
locations. Even if he pounds the existing pops down, what is going to
prevent other nails from popping later? He also mentioned that nail
pops are not as big an issue with architectural singles due to their
thickness.

He is going to give me an estimate for both a tear off and a non-tear
off installation and leave the choice to me.

I知 interested in what others think about adding a second layer as
opposed to a complete tear off.

I知 also interested in what would occur if I opted for a complete tear
off. Would *all* of the old nails be removed or would they just be
pounded down anyway?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My obvious concern is the possibility of *future* nail pops in other
locations. Even if he pounds the existing pops down, what is going to
prevent other nails from popping later? He also mentioned that nail
pops are not as big an issue with architectural singles due to their
thickness.

That would be my concern also. I'd to a tear off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If they're popping now, they'll continue. I, personally, wouldn't put
new $$ on top of such a condition; others may disagree.

My experience has been most on a tear-off will not pull nails unless
forced to do so and monitored _carefully_. Again, personally, I do pull
but when doing work oneself, one can control what happens...

The biggest problem I would have would be it _might_ hold but if it
doesn't, I think the warranty on the new will likely expressly exclude
covering the problem as they'll attribute the failure to improper
installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 10:53*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My obvious concern is the possibility of *future* nail pops in other
locations. Even if he pounds the existing pops down, what is going to
prevent other nails from popping later? He also mentioned that nail
pops are not as big an issue with architectural singles due to their
thickness.

That would be my concern also. *I'd to a tear off.

That implies that a tearoff includes the removal of *all* old nails,
right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 10:43*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'm not surprised that you're having nail pops with 3/4" T&G, and I'd
bet dollars to donuts that the roofer used his standard length roofing
nails (used on 1/2" plywood/OSB sheathing) and the nails aren't
protruding far enough through the sheathing. Some of the nail pops
are probably from the nails hitting the T&G gaps and not having enough
to bite into.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/487-Roo...t-Pop-Up.shtml

The remaining nails are often just swatted into the sheathing after a
tear-off. The new roofer is right that the heavier dimensional
shingles are not as susceptible to nail pops and that the nail pops
wouldn't telegraph through two layers. Dimensional shingles not being
perfectly flat also make it tougher to see minor imperfections such as
minor nail pops.

See if your new roofer would be willing to guarantee against the nail
pops telegraphing through for a couple or three years. I'm thinking
he won't, as it's your problem and you're making the choice, but you
never now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My obvious concern is the possibility of *future* nail pops in other
locations. Even if he pounds the existing pops down, what is going to
prevent other nails from popping later? He also mentioned that nail
pops are not as big an issue with architectural singles due to their
thickness.

That would be my concern also. I'd to a tear off.

I'd not only do a tear off, but replace the sheathing that's gotten wet.
The roofers put about 20 new sheets on my roof a few months back. I
spent more than I wanted to but have total peace of mind now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 11:05*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

As far as I can visually tell, the problem may be more related to the
nails hitting the G in the T&G as opposed to the nails not being the
right length.

When I look in the attic, I can see the nails protruding through the
sheathing as per the site you offered. "The sharp tip of the roofing
nail should completely pass through and extend approximately 3/8 inch
past the underside of the roof sheathing."

Thanks for the info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My obvious concern is the possibility of *future* nail pops in other
locations. Even if he pounds the existing pops down, what is going to
prevent other nails from popping later? He also mentioned that nail
pops are not as big an issue with architectural singles due to their
thickness.

That would be my concern also. I'd to a tear off.

I'd not only do a tear off, but replace the sheathing that's gotten wet.
The roofers put about 20 new sheets on my roof a few months back. I
spent more than I wanted to but have total peace of mind now.

I think OP said the sheathing was 3/4 t&g, not plywood or OSB. So 'wet'
really isn't an issue, unless it stayed wet a long time. Like the others
said, do it right, do a tearoff. And while deck is bare, walk around
with a big iron rod, and bounce it on all the usual suspect areas (like
around chimney, vents, ridge line, and any place the wood looks
different.) You will be able to tell the mushy spots by how the rod
bounces, and the sound. Any place that sounds different, poke with an
ice pick, and replace all the soft areas. The extra few hundred for a
complete tearoff is cheap insurance, IMHO, and makes the new roof look
better and last longer.
--
aem sends....