DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric Drill Bit Slippage (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/257813-electric-drill-bit-slippage.html)

Edge August 12th 08 01:18 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

dpb August 12th 08 01:25 PM

Edge wrote:
... Other than replacing the chuck, ...

Nope, unless it's just dirty or the bits are galled. Sorry chucks are
sorry chucks, sorry... :)

John Grabowski August 12th 08 02:01 PM

"Edge" wrote in message
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

It seems to be characteristic of many keyless chucks. I have less of a
problem with slippage using hex bits.

terry August 12th 08 03:36 PM

On Aug 12, 11:01*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Edge" wrote in message

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

It seems to be characteristic of many keyless chucks. *I have less of a
problem with slippage using hex bits.

Know whjat you mean especially 'getting older' keyless chucks!
Grind a couple of flats onto the drill bit/s. For hard drilling
anyway.
Some are probably already scarred from the slippage?

Bill August 12th 08 03:45 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 05:18:07 -0700 (PDT), Edge
wrote:

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

What are you drilling? New or old bits? Are you using the right bits
for the job? Maybe dull bits are your problem.

k August 12th 08 03:48 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

You can grind 3 flats on the drill bits which if not done exactly
symetrical will make the drill bit wobble. Aside from tightening the
chuck with a key, it's the chuck thats letting you down and would need
to be replaced. Sears may give you a new drill if you explain the
problem, I think they have fairly good customer service.

Jim Yanik August 12th 08 05:48 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

(Bill) wrote in
:

wrote:

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck.

Keyed or keyless chuck?

Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

What are you drilling? New or old bits? Are you using the right bits
for the job? Maybe dull bits are your problem.

put a heavy rubber band around the chuck to help get a better grip on it.
(for a keyless chuck)

he could grind 3 flats on the shank of the bits,with a Dremel.
Are the bit shanks all chewed up from slipping in the chuck? then you need
new bits.

also,maybe he's pressing TOO hard,forcing the bit thru the work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

N8N August 12th 08 06:05 PM

On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

I bet that it is a ****ty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to
replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.

nate

Smitty Two August 12th 08 06:09 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

In article
,
N8N wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

I bet that it is a ****ty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to
replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.

nate

Or a decent keyless chuck.

DerbyDad03 August 12th 08 06:35 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

On Aug 12, 1:09*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*N8N wrote:
On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

I bet that it is a ****ty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to
replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.

nate

-- Or a decent keyless chuck.

Gotta agree with Smitty Two. I'm not sure what the OP's problem is,
but the keyless chucks on my DeWalt cordless drills have never given
me a problem.

JIMMIE August 12th 08 06:52 PM

On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

Why are you pressing down so hard?
Try using a little cutting oil
Use sharp bits,
If you are drilling a large hole drill a small pilot hole first.
Still having problems, you have a bad chuck.

Jerry - OHIO August 12th 08 09:55 PM

Electric Drill Bit Slippage

110 or 220 is electric !! 19.2 is battery !!!

Jerry LOL

larry moe 'n curly August 13th 08 08:27 AM

Edge wrote:

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

At least some keyless chucks, including those in Ryobis (your drill
may actually be one) have a ridge in each jaw to grip bits better, but
I know people who still experience slippage problems with them.

As others have suggested, buy hex-shaft drill bits. But even the
cheapest keyed chuck will grip better than your keyless chuck.

Uncle Monster[_3_] August 19th 08 01:08 AM

Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

You can get a helper Chimp or Gorilla
to tighten it for you. We have a few
mentally challenged guys working for