Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Drill Bit Slippage

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edge wrote:
... Other than replacing the chuck, ...

Nope, unless it's just dirty or the bits are galled. Sorry chucks are
sorry chucks, sorry...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edge" wrote in message
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

It seems to be characteristic of many keyless chucks. I have less of a
problem with slippage using hex bits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 11:01*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Edge" wrote in message

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

It seems to be characteristic of many keyless chucks. *I have less of a
problem with slippage using hex bits.

Know whjat you mean especially 'getting older' keyless chucks!
Grind a couple of flats onto the drill bit/s. For hard drilling
anyway.
Some are probably already scarred from the slippage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 05:18:07 -0700 (PDT), Edge
wrote:

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

What are you drilling? New or old bits? Are you using the right bits
for the job? Maybe dull bits are your problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

You can grind 3 flats on the drill bits which if not done exactly
symetrical will make the drill bit wobble. Aside from tightening the
chuck with a key, it's the chuck thats letting you down and would need
to be replaced. Sears may give you a new drill if you explain the
problem, I think they have fairly good customer service.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

I bet that it is a ****ty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to
replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
N8N wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

I bet that it is a ****ty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to
replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.

nate

Or a decent keyless chuck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 1:09*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*N8N wrote:
On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

I bet that it is a ****ty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to
replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.

nate

-- Or a decent keyless chuck.

Gotta agree with Smitty Two. I'm not sure what the OP's problem is,
but the keyless chucks on my DeWalt cordless drills have never given
me a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 8:18*am, Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

Why are you pressing down so hard?
Try using a little cutting oil
Use sharp bits,
If you are drilling a large hole drill a small pilot hole first.
Still having problems, you have a bad chuck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

110 or 220 is electric !! 19.2 is battery !!!

Jerry LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edge wrote:

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

At least some keyless chucks, including those in Ryobis (your drill
may actually be one) have a ridge in each jaw to grip bits better, but
I know people who still experience slippage problems with them.

As others have suggested, buy hex-shaft drill bits. But even the
cheapest keyed chuck will grip better than your keyless chuck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edge wrote:
I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times,
especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the
bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues
to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what
can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to
provide a better grip on the bit.

You can get a helper Chimp or Gorilla
to tighten it for you. We have a few
mentally challenged guys working for