Posted to alt.home.repair

Default refinishing floors

I have really old hardwood flooring that has seen better days.. They
were just stained and waxed.. many years ago.. There is no way in
hell I can afford to professionally have them re-done, so I am going
to try it myself.. If I fail, I'll just carpet it..

I am afraid of using a drum sander.. can a belt sander be used, albeit
with more wear and tear on your knees?

I am going to attempt the small hallway first. A drum sander won't fit
in there.

What would be best? a drum sander or orbital sander?

what grits of sandpaper do I use?

for staining and sealing, a few coats of each, right?

I am starting small (the hall way).. what the hell to do it myself..
It can't look any worse than it does now, I say..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
I have really old hardwood flooring that has seen better days.. They
were just stained and waxed.. many years ago.. There is no way in
hell I can afford to professionally have them re-done, so I am going
to try it myself.. If I fail, I'll just carpet it..

I am afraid of using a drum sander.. can a belt sander be used, albeit
with more wear and tear on your knees?

I am going to attempt the small hallway first. A drum sander won't fit
in there.

What would be best? a drum sander or orbital sander?

what grits of sandpaper do I use?

for staining and sealing, a few coats of each, right?

I am starting small (the hall way).. what the hell to do it myself..
It can't look any worse than it does now, I say..

a belt sander will be WORSE than a drum sander. with that, you're pretty
much guaranteed not to have a level floor.

they make large pad sanders. it'll be slow, use lots of paper, but probably
safest for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks for reply..

Is a pad sander the same as an orbital sander?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
thanks for reply..

Is a pad sander the same as an orbital sander?

you should go to a tool rental place and look at them. they have orbital
sanders, and pad sanders are a type of orbital sanders. you can also get
square pad sanders that vibrate in both random or orbital patterns,
depending upon if you're going cross or with the grain you get a different
sanding pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 1:18*pm, Chris wrote:
I have really old hardwood flooring that has seen better days.. They
were just stained and waxed.. many years ago.. *There is no way in
hell I can afford to professionally have them re-done, so I am going
to try it myself.. If I fail, I'll just carpet it..

I am afraid of using a drum sander.. can a belt sander be used, albeit
with more wear and tear on your knees?

I am going to attempt the small hallway first. A drum sander won't fit
in there.

What would be best? a drum sander or orbital sander?

what grits of sandpaper do I use?

for staining and sealing, a few coats of each, right?

I am starting small (the hall way).. what the hell to do it myself..
It can't look any worse than it does now, I say..

No not a few coats of staining, no belt, and yes drum sander. clear is
easiest, with no stain. the rental place will direct you best. sand it
all..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Have you tried a bid from Mr dustless. I've never tried them but it sounds
interesting.

Also rustoleum makes a refinishing product for hardwood floors and you rent
the equipment.

"Chris" wrote in message
I have really old hardwood flooring that has seen better days.. They
were just stained and waxed.. many years ago.. There is no way in
hell I can afford to professionally have them re-done, so I am going
to try it myself.. If I fail, I'll just carpet it..

I am afraid of using a drum sander.. can a belt sander be used, albeit
with more wear and tear on your knees?

I am going to attempt the small hallway first. A drum sander won't fit
in there.

What would be best? a drum sander or orbital sander?

what grits of sandpaper do I use?

for staining and sealing, a few coats of each, right?

I am starting small (the hall way).. what the hell to do it myself..
It can't look any worse than it does now, I say..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:18:15 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

I have really old hardwood flooring that has seen better days.. They
were just stained and waxed.. many years ago.. There is no way in
hell I can afford to professionally have them re-done, so I am going
to try it myself.. If I fail, I'll just carpet it..

I am afraid of using a drum sander.. can a belt sander be used, albeit
with more wear and tear on your knees?

I am going to attempt the small hallway first. A drum sander won't fit
in there.

What would be best? a drum sander or orbital sander?

what grits of sandpaper do I use?

for staining and sealing, a few coats of each, right?

I am starting small (the hall way).. what the hell to do it myself..
It can't look any worse than it does now, I say..

Solid hardwood or laminate? That makes a big difference when sanding.
Orbital sander might be your best choice. 100, 150, 220 grit papers.
Wall-off using plastic sheets to control the dust. A shop vac
connected to the sander and respirator are smart choices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

connected to the sander and respirator are smart choices.- Hide quoted text -

back in october i refinished 400 sq ft of 3/4 in oak floors using $ 25
wallmart hand sander and 120 grit paper from big lots, then i applied
3 layers of polyurethane finish from big lots ( @ $ 14 per gallon);
total cost = ca $ 100 plus 2 weeks of my labor after almost a year
of heavy use/traffic it still shines.............

Refinishing softwood floors G Francis Home Repair 4 January 27th 08 04:26 PM
Refinishing Your Hardwood Floors: Can You Do It Yourself? trav Home Repair 0 September 15th 07 03:32 PM
refinishing 80 yr old fir floors glassartist Home Repair 5 October 5th 06 12:20 AM
refinishing wood floors mo Home Repair 3 September 4th 06 10:07 PM
refinishing old oakwood floors. dtrader7777 Home Repair 1 June 30th 06 11:51 PM