Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lubricant for freezer drawers

I have a relatively new GE bottom freezer refrigerator. It has 2
basket drawers that have drawer slides similiar to like what you find
in a kitchen cabinet. Although these are not in the freezer, it looks
similiar.
http://www.runnerduck.com/images/pmb...awer_slide.jpg

The problem is sometimes they get just enough frost on them to bind
them up and make it hard to pull out the drawer and hard to push in. I
have defrosted the freezer twice and at first it does fix the problem,
but then they frost up again. I don't think the fridge is defective. I
think this is more of a inherent design issue. I don't have any frost
in the freezer itself. Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I have a relatively new GE bottom freezer refrigerator. It has 2
basket drawers that have drawer slides similiar to like what you find
in a kitchen cabinet. Although these are not in the freezer, it looks
similiar.
http://www.runnerduck.com/images/pmb...awer_slide.jpg

The problem is sometimes they get just enough frost on them to bind
them up and make it hard to pull out the drawer and hard to push in. I
have defrosted the freezer twice and at first it does fix the problem,
but then they frost up again. I don't think the fridge is defective. I
think this is more of a inherent design issue. I don't have any frost
in the freezer itself. Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

Call GE. There should not be any frost in a relatively new freezer. Not on
the food, drawers, or anywhere else, and certainly not sufficient to cause
moving parts to stick. I think you're looking for the wrong solution to the
symptom.

That said, machinery exists in the Arctic that is adequately lubricated, so
such greases are bound to exist. Here, in South Texas, we cook tamales in
the freezing compartment, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 05:09:22 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I have a relatively new GE bottom freezer refrigerator. It has 2
basket drawers that have drawer slides similiar to like what you find
in a kitchen cabinet. Although these are not in the freezer, it looks
similiar.
http://www.runnerduck.com/images/pmb...awer_slide.jpg

The problem is sometimes they get just enough frost on them to bind
them up and make it hard to pull out the drawer and hard to push in. I
have defrosted the freezer twice and at first it does fix the problem,
but then they frost up again. I don't think the fridge is defective. I
think this is more of a inherent design issue. I don't have any frost
in the freezer itself. Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

Sounds like either a design flaw or you have a leak that should be
covered under warranty. Carefully examine all areas above the issue
to determine the water source. A trouble light might help. Check for
rust inside the slides too. Call GE customer support--they should
have an 800 number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mikepier wrote:

Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

I put pure STP in my locks to keep them from freezing, maybe it would
work on your drawers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 7:21*pm, nick hull wrote:
In article
,

*Mikepier wrote:
*Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

I put pure STP in my locks to keep them from freezing, maybe it would
work on your drawers.

I actually tried putting rubbing alcohol on the slides thinking the
alcohol would absorb some moisture plus it would not freeze, but it
didn't work. I'll think about the STP stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*Mikepier wrote:
*Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

I put pure STP in my locks to keep them from freezing, maybe it would
work on your drawers.

I actually tried putting rubbing alcohol on the slides thinking the
alcohol would absorb some moisture plus it would not freeze, but it
didn't work. I'll think about the STP stuff.

Rubbing alcohol is 70% and will not absorb any water unless it is more
than 90% alcohol. STP coats the metal so the ice doesn't adhere to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 7:17*am, nick hull wrote:
In article
,

*Mikepier wrote:
*Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

I put pure STP in my locks to keep them from freezing, maybe it would
work on your drawers.

I actually tried putting rubbing alcohol on the slides thinking the
alcohol would absorb some moisture plus it would not freeze, but it
didn't work. I'll think about the STP stuff.

Rubbing alcohol is 70% and will not absorb any water unless it is more
than 90% alcohol. *STP coats the metal so the ice doesn't adhere to it.

The rubbing alcohol I have says 91%, but it does not matter since it
didn't work.
I took apart the slide mechanism this morning and I let it sit out in
the sun to dry up. Now it works fine, so I'm going to try and coat it
with STP or similiar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

The problem is sometimes they get just enough frost on them to bind
them up and make it hard to pull out the drawer and hard to push in. I
have defrosted the freezer twice and at first it does fix the problem,
but then they frost up again. I don't think the fridge is defective. I
think this is more of a inherent design issue. I don't have any frost
in the freezer itself. Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

What abt this Dupont Teflon based multi lube?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2008 5:42 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Here, in South Texas, we cook tamales in the freezing compartment, so
I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

Oh, you Texans and your tall tales. Reminds me of the punch line of that
other Texas joke, paraphrased: "Yeah, I used to have a freezer like that
too."

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: lubricant for freezer drawers

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/2/2008 5:42 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Here, in South Texas, we cook tamales in the freezing compartment, so
I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

Oh, you Texans and your tall tales. Reminds me of the punch line of
that other Texas joke, paraphrased: "Yeah, I used to have a freezer
like that too."

I'm in Houston. We've got a possible hurricane headed our way. Visitors from
the North look down and say: "Feet, make tracks!" We locals stock up on beer
and strawberry PopTarts and put on our party dresses!

Story---
Two days before hurrican Rita was due to hit, we were picking up stuff in
the yard (until you've seen a lawn chair flying by at 90 miles per hour, you
can't appreciate the effort). Anyway, in a flowerbed we found FOUR WEE
KITTENS! Momma had already decamped for Utah since they were tired, dirty,
and hungry. Nothing for it but to bring them in.

Time passes and they go up for adoption. A young couple comes by and as the
fellow is looking at one, I say: "In the interest of full disclosure, that
bump on Arti's tummy is the result of a hernia repair. The vet says that the
internal sutures will dissolve, the bump will go down, and Arti will be just
fine."

The young man stands a little taller, looks at his wife who grins at him,
and says: "I haven't told you, but I'm a sports medicine therapist. I work
for the Rockets and the Texans. I KNOW about hernias. Arti and I will get
along just fine."

Arti got a good home.

Serendipity? Luck? Maybe. I like to think that someone up there looks after
helpless kittens...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I have a relatively new GE bottom freezer refrigerator. It has 2
basket drawers that have drawer slides similiar to like what you find
in a kitchen cabinet. Although these are not in the freezer, it looks
similiar.
http://www.runnerduck.com/images/pmb...awer_slide.jpg

The problem is sometimes they get just enough frost on them to bind
them up and make it hard to pull out the drawer and hard to push in. I
have defrosted the freezer twice and at first it does fix the problem,
but then they frost up again. I don't think the fridge is defective. I
think this is more of a inherent design issue. I don't have any frost
in the freezer itself. Is there any lubricant I can use suitable for
this application that will not freeze up?

Give this a try
http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

I have an acquaintance who runs, and wins, the Iditerod. He put me on
to this as a good lube for cold, nasty weather.

T-9 Lubricant Ron Woodworking 2 March 13th 07 04:27 AM
QC lubricant? Rex B Metalworking 7 May 22nd 05 12:02 AM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer - Freezer defrosted red light on any ideas? Suz UK diy 0 September 5th 03 12:59 AM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 07:06 PM