Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Suddenly my basement is very humid, why?

for the past couple of years I was able to get by with a fan running
24/7 and flipping on my dehumidifier for a couple of hours a day but
this year with the same practice I've started to see the presence of a
white mold on some leather shoes and some wooden products close to the
floor. I decided I needed to run my dehumidifier longer and add
another fan but what ever I do I still can't get my humidity under 60.
My basement is about 600 sq/ft and I'm using a 45pt dehumifier. From
everything I've read on the sizing chart it should be more than
sufficient. What could have changed in my basement that is making it
more humid? I'm in CT and this July has been the 6th rainiest on
record, could that have something to do with it?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 31, 12:54*pm, Joe wrote:
for the past couple of years I was able to get by with a fan running
24/7 and flipping on my dehumidifier for a couple of hours a day but
this year with the same practice I've started to see the presence of a
white mold on some leather shoes and some wooden products close to the
floor. I decided I needed to run my dehumidifier longer and add
another fan but what ever I do I still can't get my humidity under 60.
My basement is about 600 sq/ft and I'm using a 45pt dehumifier. From
everything I've read on the sizing chart it should be more than
sufficient. What could have changed in my basement that is making it
more *humid? I'm in CT and this July has been the 6th rainiest on
record, could that have something to do with it?

sure could, also, how is the grading around your house? Downspouts
carrying water away/downhill?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 31, 1:42 pm, N8N wrote:
On Jul 31, 12:54 pm, Joe wrote:

for the past couple of years I was able to get by with a fan running
24/7 and flipping on my dehumidifier for a couple of hours a day but
this year with the same practice I've started to see the presence of a
white mold on some leather shoes and some wooden products close to the
floor. I decided I needed to run my dehumidifier longer and add
another fan but what ever I do I still can't get my humidity under 60.
My basement is about 600 sq/ft and I'm using a 45pt dehumifier. From
everything I've read on the sizing chart it should be more than
sufficient. What could have changed in my basement that is making it
more humid? I'm in CT and this July has been the 6th rainiest on
record, could that have something to do with it?

sure could, also, how is the grading around your house? Downspouts
carrying water away/downhill?

nate

Yes, I have all my downspouts going down hill. I tried that test too
where you tape a piece of plastic wrap to the wall to see if moisture
is seeping in and after 48 hours it's dry on both sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 2:38*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jul 31, 1:42 pm, N8N wrote:

On Jul 31, 12:54 pm, Joe wrote:

[...]

is seeping in and after 48 hours it's dry on both sides.- Hide quoted text -

Many dehumidifiers are not really very well made. That could be
the problem. Maybe the outside air is just a little more moist this
year, it happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Leave the dehumidifier on at least 6 hours a day, and empty it into a
toilet, instead of flushing lab grade water. - and keep that fan going. The
small Honeywell fan works best for me. If possible, get the fan to blow the
moisture to a drier area, with the prevailing air flow.

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
for the past couple of years I was able to get by with a fan running
24/7 and flipping on my dehumidifier for a couple of hours a day but
this year with the same practice I've started to see the presence of a
white mold on some leather shoes and some wooden products close to the
floor. I decided I needed to run my dehumidifier longer and add
another fan but what ever I do I still can't get my humidity under 60.
My basement is about 600 sq/ft and I'm using a 45pt dehumifier. From
everything I've read on the sizing chart it should be more than
sufficient. What could have changed in my basement that is making it
more humid? I'm in CT and this July has been the 6th rainiest on
record, could that have something to do with it?

Shut the windows, leave the dehumidifier on (it's automatic) Set it at 45
or 50% humidity. I hooked a hose on my collection tank to drain in the
cellar sink so I don't have to keep emptying it. Sometimes I open the
windows when I think it's dry outside but soon the cold well water supply
pipe starts sweating and dripping so I close the windows again and turn on
the dehumidifier. Next day, all is dry again.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8