Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Default One last cleaning before home remodel

Hi,

We will be remodeling our home soon and eventually replacing the
berber rug that is in place now. We actually wanted to do the remodel
sooner and as a result have been pretty neglectful of the rug thinking
it would be replaced sooner. It is in pretty rough shape (just normal
traffic dirt and grime, no oil-based stains) and certain areas might
need a scrubber machine.

I thought we could rent a scrubber at Lowes and then schedule a
professional to do the hot water extraction just afterwards.

If this sounds workable can anyone recommend a moderately priced
general purpose spot remover and shampoo for a rug destined for the
trash in about four months.

I was going to call on Stanley Steamer for the steam cleaning but
some of the comments make me worry that perhaps the care won't be
taken to get as much water back out of the rug as possible which could
be a problem with berber.

It is a small house (3 bed, hallway, and family room) with about 1000
sq ft of rug in So. Cal.

Thanks for the advice,

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Jul 23, 2:03*pm, wrote:
[...]

Dry Chem only. But, I'd forget it since it's out of there anyway.
Save your money and go out for a lovely dinner.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Jul 23, 2:51*pm, "h" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

???Why would you go through the hassle and expense to clean something you'll
be tossing in 4 months? SOOO not worth it.- Hide quoted text -

That was my thinking as well. Just vacuum well and maybe some spot
cleaning (or heck, throw a small area rug on top to cover it).
Reminds me, I should set up some appointments to replace the 30 y/o
original carpets in my house, they're looking a bit worn.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Art Art is offline

Woolite cleaners in the blue pump bottle available at any supermarket do a
really good job of spot cleaning. They make one for pets too usually sold
next to each other.

I would get that and a good vacuum cleaner for your next rug. See ratings
in Consumer Reports.

According to their issue on carpeting a long time ago, look for uniform
carpets as ones that clean the best. Ones that have varying height areas do
not allow good suction by vaccum cleaners.

If you insist on cleaning your rug well, I don't think you can beat rug
doctor rentable at most supermarkets. You want the models that vibrate. We
had an incredibly bad mess to clean up that made me want to grab a knife and
cut out part of the rug but I got it clean as new renting a rug doctor.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Let's sum it up!

The majority here think you should leave well enough alone

Now, take the money and go out for a lovely meal and don't worry about
living like a pig!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

I second this, and you'll be happier living with a bit of dirt. Relax and
stop cleaning. You'll have plenty of cleaning up after the remodel.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."