Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multiwire circuit on 208v?

I want to add a circuit to a 208 panel, but there are no holes and I really
don't want to go at it with a hole saw.

There is a circuit consisting of one outlet connected to the box by 1/2"
conduit. If multiwire circuits are allowed on 208v, I could put the outlet
on one leg of the multiwire circuit and put my new circuit on the other.
That way I can just put my new MC cable to the bottom of the outlet box,
which does have a hole.

Seems to me that it should be pretty much the same as 240v, except that some
current will always be returning over the neutral; but there is no harm to
that. But maybe I am overlooking something (which, given my knowledge of
208v, is not unlikely)

If I can't use a multiwire circuit, can I simply attach the MC cable to the
bottom of the outlet box and run it up through the conduit to the panel box?
I think 1/2" will take 6 #12 wires.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 12:09*am, "jack" wrote:
[...]

Do not split a 240V circuit.
If you need an extra knockout, why don't you use a duplex BX connector
like this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
news
[...]

What you're proposing is fine. Bring your cable into the outlet box, splice
the two neutral wires together with a pigtail to the outlet, as the neutrals
of a multiwire circuit cannot be dependent upon a device, and run your new
hot leg for the new circuit to a circuit breaker adjacent to the one feeding
the outlet circuit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do not split a 240V circuit.
If you need an extra knockout, why don't you use a duplex BX connector
like this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

=====================

If I had known that existed I would have used it. But now the multiwire
idea just seems more elegant.
Do you know of any reason not to use a multiwire circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What you're proposing is fine. Bring your cable into the outlet box,
splice the two neutral wires together with a pigtail to the outlet, as the
neutrals of a multiwire circuit cannot be dependent upon a device, and run
your new hot leg for the new circuit to a circuit breaker adjacent to the
one feeding the outlet circuit

I was planning on taking the neutral off the outlet, so I appreciate you
pointing out that it is improper. Pigtailing is almost as easy.

I guess what you don't want is the neutral connection to the box breaking.
With a pigtail you lose everything or nothing, so you can't get a floating
neutral; is that the idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"jack" wrote in message
news
[...]

That works. Normally you would add 2 wires to the conduit and splice to
MC at the outlet box. In both cases the outlet box needs to be big enough.

You have 4 conductors in the conduit. The wire ampacity has to be
derated to 80% (4-6 wires). If you are using #12 THHN the ampacity is
30A which derates to 24A (and can only be used at 20A).

What you're proposing is fine. Bring your cable into the outlet box, splice
the two neutral wires together with a pigtail to the outlet, as the neutrals
of a multiwire circuit cannot be dependent upon a device, and run your new
hot leg for the new circuit to a circuit breaker adjacent to the one feeding
the outlet circuit

I agree except the 2008 NEC wants a common disconnect on multiwire
branch circuits (210.4). Could be a breaker handle tie. (The change
should make multiwires much less attractive.)

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:02:09 -0400, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

Do you know of any reason not to use a multiwire circuit?

Harmonics ... what kind of load is it

One circuit is a small water heater, the other a convenience outlet next to
the panel box. I suppose a light or a radio occasionally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

What you're proposing is fine. Bring your cable into the outlet box,
splice the two neutral wires together with a pigtail to the outlet, as
the neutrals of a multiwire circuit cannot be dependent upon a device,
and run your new hot leg for the new circuit to a circuit breaker
adjacent to the one feeding the outlet circuit

I was planning on taking the neutral off the outlet, so I appreciate you
pointing out that it is improper. Pigtailing is almost as easy.

I guess what you don't want is the neutral connection to the box breaking.
With a pigtail you lose everything or nothing, so you can't get a floating
neutral; is that the idea?

That is the idea, exactly, and as Bud correctly points out, the 08' NEC
requires the breakers of the two circuits to be tied. This may or may not
apply, as I know in my area we're still using the 05' code, but it's a good
practice to get into, to prevent Edison circuits from accidentally getting
screwed up