Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LAwn sprinklers and air in the line

Apparently I have some air in one and only section of my sprinklers.
They heads bob up and down and there is a horrendous noise throughout
the house from the water hammer. Only one section is impacted. Any
suggestions for fixing the problems?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Apparently I have some air in one and only section of my
sprinklers. They heads bob up and down and there is a horrendous
noise throughout the house from the water hammer. Only one section is
impacted. Any suggestions for fixing the problems?

Remove the head from the last sprinkler in that section.
Turn on the water.
Wait for all the air to leave the system.
Turn off the water.
Put the head back on.

Repeat for other zones just for fun.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:39*pm, "SteveB"
wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
* *Apparently I have some air in one and only section of my
sprinklers. *They heads bob up and down and there is a horrendous
noise throughout the house from the water hammer. Only one section is
impacted. Any suggestions for fixing the problems?

Remove the head from the last sprinkler in that section.
Turn on the water.
Wait for all the air to leave the system.
Turn off the water.
Put the head back on.

Repeat for other zones just for fun.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Why wouldn't the air just leave anyway through normal operation? Most
sprinkler systems have some air in them and it all comes out each time
they start up.

Is this only a temporary problem during start-up of that zone or are
you saying it's continuous? If it's continuous, it sounds more like
some kind of problem with the control valve on that zone to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Apparently I have some air in one and only section of my
sprinklers. They heads bob up and down and there is a horrendous
noise throughout the house from the water hammer. Only one section is
impacted. Any suggestions for fixing the problems?

Remove the head from the last sprinkler in that section.
Turn on the water.
Wait for all the air to leave the system.
Turn off the water.
Put the head back on.

Repeat for other zones just for fun.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. Is repeating the other zones
really just fun or is there a reason I should do it for preventative or
other reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Apparently I have some air in one and only section of my
sprinklers. They heads bob up and down and there is a horrendous
noise throughout the house from the water hammer. Only one
section is impacted. Any suggestions for fixing the problems?

Remove the head from the last sprinkler in that section.
Turn on the water.
Wait for all the air to leave the system.
Turn off the water.
Put the head back on.

Repeat for other zones just for fun.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. Is repeating the other zones
really just fun or is there a reason I should do it for preventative
or other reasons.

Iff'n it were my system, I'd do all the zones. Besides getting air out
of the system, you'll flush out any accumulated debris that might later
clog sprinkler heads.

When clients ask me to fix a problem where one piece of a system is
causing a problem, I suggest doing all the pieces as preventive
maintenance. For example, if they want one water heater flushed, I
suggest we do both (in a two-WH house).

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

Iff'n it were my system, I'd do all the zones. Besides getting air out
of the system, you'll flush out any accumulated debris that might later
clog sprinkler heads.

When clients ask me to fix a problem where one piece of a system is
causing a problem, I suggest doing all the pieces as preventive
maintenance. For example, if they want one water heater flushed, I
suggest we do both (in a two-WH house).

I went out today, turned on the sprinkler so I get at the head and take
it off, and the problem went away on its own.

Blow out Sprinklers with Compressor? Chris Shearer Cooper Woodworking 18 October 26th 17 02:43 AM
How long to run RainBird sprinklers grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 8 June 20th 06 12:24 PM
Sprinklers in all homes? Phil UK diy 17 November 12th 05 10:56 PM
how to blow out sprinklers for winter Deb Home Ownership 2 November 14th 03 04:05 AM