Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When DIY goes bad

Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

DIY didn't "go bad", it went "stupid". The actual DIY project sounds
like it was entirely successful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:23:13 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Still a bigger screwup than I think I've made so far-- but down near
the end of the article, after leading with "Hole drilled in vase costs
owner £250K" and giving the current value as £20,000. . .

the article says; "it would have been worth £250,000 without the hole
and if it had been accompanied by its matching pair. "

My math & general knowledge of antiques says a single vase was
probably 'only' worth £110,000 or so- less the £20,000 that she got it
appraised for and we're left with £90,000. Google converts that to
$178,551 USD today. Not exactly chump-change, but not 1/2 million,
either.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. The math troubled me too. I wonder if she has the other vase?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.
Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.
The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.
It's a nice looking lamp, though.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....3998&in_page_i
d=34

First, the article states it would only be worth £250,000 if it had been
accompanied by it's matching pair. We can't just assume a single vase would
be worth half as much.

In any case, I always have to laugh when I hear things like "this will be
worth something someday". That priceless object you hang onto isn't worth
a penny until you sell it. Until then, it's just a piece of junk taking up
space. "Potential" value won't pay the bills.

What's the old saying, "one man's junk is another man's treasure"? If the
vase worked better as a lamp for the woman, I say she found her treasure.
Otherwise it was just an ugly vase passed down through the family.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

the article says; "it would have been worth £250,000 without the hole
and if it had been accompanied by its matching pair. "

The other half of the pair is probably being used as a catch for when
changing oil in the car

Posted to alt.home.repair

That really totally hurts. Ouch!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Shrug. And if everyone had saved their copy of 'Action Comics Superman
#1', they'd be worth about 10 bucks, probably. You glossed over where it
said a matched set would be worth 250k pounds.

The value of collectibles is only meaningful if you have a rich buyer
that wants it, as many people with dollar signs in their eyes have
learned the hard way. Remember beanie babies?

As to the vase- well, if you're into that stuff, I guess it is pretty,
but I'd never pay Art Collector prices for something like that, even if
I was rich. Whoever buys it will probably just keep that side turned to
the wall, or something, and nobody will ever notice.

--
aem sends...

#1', they'd be worth about 10 bucks, probably. You glossed over where
it said a matched set would be worth 250k pounds.

The value of collectibles is only meaningful if you have a rich buyer
that wants it, as many people with dollar signs in their eyes have
learned the hard way. Remember beanie babies?

As to the vase- well, if you're into that stuff, I guess it is pretty,
but I'd never pay Art Collector prices for something like that, even
if I was rich. Whoever buys it will probably just keep that side
turned to the wall, or something, and nobody will ever notice.

The amount of money isn't the important thing (other than it was a lot).
It's the notion of taking something lovely (to somebody) and ruining it for
the connoisseur while turning it in to some horrid, utilitarian bit of crap.

My ex-wife PAINTED a walnut bookcase with some hideous, oil-based, exterior
concoction. I wasn't about to wait until she turned my lucky bowling ball
into a pair of bookends to match.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
It's the notion of taking something lovely (to somebody) and ruining it for
the connoisseur while turning it in to some horrid, utilitarian bit of crap.

But it may have been nothing more than a chamber pot originally, anyway,
and it's only the pretentious that have turned it into something other
than a bit of utilitarian earthenware...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
Woman drills hole in vase to make it into a lamp.

Vase was ancient Chinese porcelain.

The hole reduced the value of the lamp by, oh, half a million
dollars.

It's a nice looking lamp, though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....13998&in_page_
id=34

Shrug. And if everyone had saved their copy of 'Action Comics Superman
#1', they'd be worth about 10 bucks, probably. You glossed over where
it said a matched set would be worth 250k pounds.

The value of collectibles is only meaningful if you have a rich buyer
that wants it, as many people with dollar signs in their eyes have
learned the hard way. Remember beanie babies?

As to the vase- well, if you're into that stuff, I guess it is pretty,
but I'd never pay Art Collector prices for something like that, even
if I was rich. Whoever buys it will probably just keep that side
turned to the wall, or something, and nobody will ever notice.

--
aem sends...

Shrug. And if everyone had saved ...

Oh heck. I'm not a sports fan but 5 cent packs of baseball cards were a
big thing when I was a tyke. It was cool to clip them to the bike forks
with a wooden clothespin so they hit the spokes and made a cool flapping
noise.

Mickey Mantle, Roger Marris & Willy Mays powered my old Raleigh bike.
Vaaaaarooooom!

#1', they'd be worth about 10 bucks, probably. You glossed over where
[...]

Sounds like you're from my era!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)