Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jet pump configuration for lake use at cottage ?

On Jun 27, 3:06*pm, John wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm going to install a lake water system at my new cottage and part of
that is re-using a Duro 1/2 hp pump from a friend. It was set up at
his place in a deep well application with the ejector / venturi unit
in his well using a two hose connection between the well and the pump
inside his cottage.

His handyman disposed of the ejector so I ended up buying a new
universal ejector / venturi unit but it doesn't fit on the pump body,
as one would do in a shallow well/lake application like mine (15'
lift).

The question is whether or not I should use a double pipe to have the
ejector in the lake near the foot valve, or can I just hook it up near
the pump and have just a single pipe to the lake. Are there any
considerations with priming etc?

Your advice is greatly appreciated,

John

With a 15ft lift you do not need an ejector. Single pipe works fine
with a footvalve.

Priming? Keep your suction pipe as near verticle as possible with the
pump as near the lake as you can get. The closer to horizontal any
section of the suction pipe is, the more priming problems you will
have.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If the ejector doesn't fit the pump body, connect it to the body with short
lengths of pipe, such as 1 foot long pieces. It will work the same as
actually connecting it with the pump.
Saves all the double piping, which you don't need.

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 3:06 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

On Jun 27, 3:06 pm, John wrote:

[...]

Priming? *Keep your suction pipe as near vertical as possible with the
pump as near the lake as you can get. *The closer to horizontal any
section of the suction pipe is, the more priming problems you will
have.- Hide quoted text -

We used a Duro pump with about a 12 foot deep well for about 10 years.
One of its characteristics was that, from that depth, it was self
priming.
The venturi jet unit was mounted right on the pump and there was a
single pipe down the well almost immediately below. But we understood
from the instructions that the venturi could have been detached and
placed down a deeper well using a two pipe system.
With a 15 foot or less lift a single pipe may be fine; although you
may have to prime the pump first time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

On Jun 27, 3:06 pm, John wrote:

[...]

Thanks all - I'll connect the ejector with short pieces of pipe. A few
other people confirmed that with such short lift the pump will have no
problem getting strong suction right off the bat.

John