Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence Bulding...again :)

At long last, I'm going to sink my fence posts. It rains a lot here, and the
soil here is loose loam, well drained, few rocks. Sidewalks and driveways,
etc., tend to sink and crack over time. I was just going to sink all of my
posts in concrete, does anyone have any practical experience with wet
climates and fence posts? Is there any reason not to do them this way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote

At long last, I'm going to sink my fence posts. It rains a lot here, and
the soil here is loose loam, well drained, few rocks. Sidewalks and
driveways, etc., tend to sink and crack over time. I was just going to
sink all of my posts in concrete, does anyone have any practical
experience with wet climates and fence posts? Is there any reason not to
do them this way?

If indirect experience is ok (havent done it personally) then am told the
way to go is to bury a good sized plastic bucket and then set the post in
that filled with cement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't trap the bottom of the pole in concrete. I sure wouldn't
use a pail. You need the bottom of the post to be able to dry.
If it sits in a "bathtub" it will rot and snap off at the top of
the concrete. The most simple method, throw a good sized round
rock in the hole, set the pole on top of the rock and fill with
concrete.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Zootal" wrote in message
At long last, I'm going to sink my fence posts. It rains a lot
here, and the soil here is loose loam, well drained, few rocks.
Sidewalks and driveways, etc., tend to sink and crack over time.
I was just going to sink all of my posts in concrete, does
anyone have any practical experience with wet climates and fence
posts? Is there any reason not to do them this way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
Don't trap the bottom of the pole in concrete. I sure wouldn't
use a pail. You need the bottom of the post to be able to dry.
If it sits in a "bathtub" it will rot and snap off at the top of
the concrete. The most simple method, throw a good sized round
rock in the hole, set the pole on top of the rock and fill with
concrete.

Or use metal posts. Bolt the 4x4 (or the runners) to the metal. Lasts for
about a zillion years.