Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging kitchen cabinets?

Hmm,

You want to transfer the entire load of a filled kitchen cabinet to the
wooden joints that form the top and sides of the cabinet. There is usually
a large gap here, without a shim you would bow the top and stress the joint
even more. That could be 200 pounds focused on 4 #12 screws and a bit of
wood. Even if the construction of the cab could take it, you would need to
reinforce with large washers to keep from tearing through the wood.

If you had any mechanical engineering knowledge at all you would see this is
just a way to break the cabinets. Particularly if they are not full plywood
construction.

Cabinets should also be screwed to each other and to as many studs as
possible. Once they are up, there is no easy way to get them down
regardless of where you put the screws

wrote in message
I see most manufacturered kitchen cabinets are meant to be installed
by screwing through their back panel and into wall studs. Wondering
if I can just as safely use anchor bolts from above and hang them from
the ceiling, so that I can remove them if I need to access the wall
behind them. All opinions appreciated.

-Theodore