DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/251712-if-c-low-freon-does-use-more-energy-not.html)

wle May 30th 08 05:34 PM

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

wle.

dpb May 30th 08 05:35 PM

wle wrote:
if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

More because efficiency drops.

wle May 30th 08 05:39 PM

On May 30, 12:35*pm, dpb wrote:
wle wrote:
if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

More because efficiency drops.

--

oh
good answer

wle

Mikepier May 30th 08 05:39 PM

On May 30, 12:34*pm, wle wrote:
if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

wle.

From what I remember, I had my CAC charged with freon a few years ago
while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber seeing
the current draw go up slighty as the freon was being pumped in,
probably due to the added pressure from the freon the compressor had
to push.

wle May 30th 08 06:23 PM

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

oh wait
this makes it sound like it could be using less power..
wle.

dpb May 30th 08 06:32 PM

wle wrote:
oh wait
this makes it sound like it could be using less power..

But the efficiency isn't as good...don't you think if the overall
efficiency were better the manufacturer would design it to run there?

DT May 30th 08 09:49 PM

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

In article , says...

wle wrote:
oh wait
this makes it sound like it could be using less power..

But the efficiency isn't as good...don't you think if the overall
efficiency were better the manufacturer would design it to run there?

No, because when it is slightly undercharged, the suction pressure is less,
lowering the temperature at the evaporator. It runs quite cold for a while,
then ices over. It needs to run with the evaporator at the design temperature.

--
Dennis

dpb May 31st 08 01:09 AM

if an A/C is low on freon, does it use more energy or not?

DT wrote:
In article , says...
wle wrote:
oh wait
this makes it sound like it could be using less power..

But the efficiency isn't as good...don't you think if the overall
efficiency were better the manufacturer would design it to run there?

No, because when it is slightly undercharged, the suction pressure is less,
lowering the temperature at the evaporator. It runs quite cold for a while,
then ices over. It needs to run with the evaporator at the design temperature.

That's what I was alluding to...

wle June 2nd 08 06:15 PM

On May 30, 10:09*pm, CJT wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
On May 30, 12:34 pm, wle wrote:

if an A/C is low onfreon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

wle.

From what I remember, I had my CAC charged withfreona few years ago
while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber seeing
the current draw go up slighty as thefreonwas being pumped in,
probably due to the added pressure from thefreonthe compressor had
to push.

It'll work harder while it's running, but not run as long.

minimize spam. *Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

what?that makes it sound like it;s better to run low on freon

that can;t be right

how can it not run as long?
it won;t be getting as cold, it has to run longer..

wle

Moe Jones June 2nd 08 10:16 PM

wle wrote:
On May 30, 10:09 pm, CJT wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
On May 30, 12:34 pm, wle wrote:

if an A/C is low onfreon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

wle.

From what I remember, I had my CAC charged withfreona few years ago
while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber
seeing the current draw go up slighty as thefreonwas being pumped
in, probably due to the added pressure from thefreonthe compressor
had
to push.

It'll work harder while it's running, but not run as long.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .-

what?that makes it sound like it;s better to run low on freon

that can;t be right

how can it not run as long?
it won;t be getting as cold, it has to run longer..

wle

I have retired from the field and I can tell you that when your system runs
low on refrigerant, it cost you more. When the system loses charge you now
lose the size. I mean if you are using a 3-ton system and when the system
loses charge, you now are using a 2 to 2.5-ton system to cool the same
house.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

CJT June 3rd 08 04:32 AM

wle wrote:

On May 30, 10:09 pm, CJT wrote:

Mikepier wrote:

On May 30, 12:34 pm, wle wrote:

if an A/C is low onfreon, does it use more energy or not?

obviously it doesn;t get as cold, so it has to run longer

but is the power demand the same, or less?

is the total energy used the same, or less, or more?

wle.

From what I remember, I had my CAC charged withfreona few years ago
while an Amprobe was hooked up to the compressor, and I remeber seeing
the current draw go up slighty as thefreonwas being pumped in,
probably due to the added pressure from thefreonthe compressor had
to push.

It'll work harder while it's running, but not run as long.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

what?that makes it sound like it;s better to run low on freon

that can;t be right

how can it not run as long?
it won;t be getting as cold, it has to run longer..

wle

When it's charged, it'll work harder while running, but not run as long
for the same cooling. The cumulative energy will be less.