Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's that above the cinder blocks?

Hi,

I'm installing an exhaust fan in a thirty year old one storey addition
that's built of cinderblocks with stucco on the ouside. I'm looking
for an alternative to making a vent hole in the roof and I may have
found something.

In the following pictures you are looking at the crawl space under the
roof where the roof meets the old wall of the house. In the very
corner, there is a "wedge" where there are no cinderblocks and I am
wondering what kind of material that is. Is that something that I
could drill through to make a 4" opening? (It's in a place that I
can't reach by hand but would be able to fish the vent through.)

http://freeboundaries.com/stucco.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/stucco2.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

It looks suspicously like a slab of Polystyrene to me. Try
poking it with a rod to see if it's soft ? The blue colour
looks like some kind of paint.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm installing an exhaust fan in a thirty year old one storey addition
that's built of cinderblocks with stucco on the ouside. I'm looking
for an alternative to making a vent hole in the roof and I may have
found something.

In the following pictures you are looking at the crawl space under the
roof where the roof meets the old wall of the house. In the very
corner, there is a "wedge" where there are no cinderblocks and I am
wondering what kind of material that is. Is that something that I
could drill through to make a 4" opening? (It's in a place that I
can't reach by hand but would be able to fish the vent through.)

http://freeboundaries.com/stucco.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/stucco2.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm installing an exhaust fan in a thirty year old one storey addition
that's built of cinderblocks with stucco on the ouside. I'm looking
for an alternative to making a vent hole in the roof and I may have
found something.

In the following pictures you are looking at the crawl space under the
roof where the roof meets the old wall of the house. In the very
corner, there is a "wedge" where there are no cinderblocks and I am
wondering what kind of material that is. Is that something that I
could drill through to make a 4" opening? (It's in a place that I
can't reach by hand but would be able to fish the vent through.)

http://freeboundaries.com/stucco.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/stucco2.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Why not go through the block?
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 3:33*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm installing an exhaust fan in a thirty year old one storey addition
that's built of cinderblocks with stucco on the ouside. I'm looking
for an alternative to making a vent hole in the roof and I may have
found something.

In the following pictures you are looking at the crawl space under the
roof where the roof meets the old wall of the house. In the very
corner, there is a "wedge" where there are no cinderblocks and I am
wondering what kind of material that is. Is that something that I
could drill through to make a 4" opening? (It's in a place that I
can't reach by hand but would be able to fish the vent through.)

http://freeboundaries.com/stucco.jpg...om/stucco2.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Looks like a brick, maybe a fireplace brick, with a bunch of mortar
shoved in around it.

You say you can't reach it by hand so how are you going to get a drill
into the area? And if it's mortar, I doubt you are going to want to
try and drill a 4" hole in it.

Go through the block.

Determine the location of the vent from either the inside or outside
of the wall, depending on which is more critical regarding the
placement.

Mark the center of your 4" hole.

Chuck a sharpened length of a wire hanger, long enough to go all the
way through the block, into your drill.

Drill all the way through the block (from one side) with the hanger.
Start slow and push the drill as straight as possible to avoid bending
the hanger.

Now you've a small hole on each side to help you determine the exact
location to start chipping away until you have a opening larger enough
for the vent.

Insert your pipe and mortar around it to secure it in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm installing an exhaust fan in a thirty year old one storey addition
that's built of cinderblocks with stucco on the ouside. I'm looking
for an alternative to making a vent hole in the roof and I may have
found something.

In the following pictures you are looking at the crawl space under the
roof where the roof meets the old wall of the house. In the very
corner, there is a "wedge" where there are no cinderblocks and I am
wondering what kind of material that is. Is that something that I
could drill through to make a 4" opening? (It's in a place that I
can't reach by hand but would be able to fish the vent through.)

http://freeboundaries.com/stucco.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/stucco2.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

I believe it is pieces of concrete blocks and mortar, not a good candidate
for getting a 4" hole through without considerable effort and likely
surrounding damage to the wall and stucco. If the block cavities are not
filled with mortar or concrete, that seems a good alternative.

Don Young

Clamping V blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks Louis Ohland Metalworking 16 February 13th 08 08:22 PM
Cinder Road Izzy Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 07 08:19 PM
New Drywall on Cinder Blocks with 1x2s? [email protected] Home Repair 4 April 7th 06 07:36 PM
retaining wall: cinder block vs. allan blocks? JT Home Repair 3 July 15th 05 03:13 PM
Repointing between cinder blocks Ray K Home Repair 0 September 27th 04 04:29 PM