DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DWV elbow types??? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/251287-dwv-elbow-types.html)

[email protected] May 26th 08 07:09 AM

DWV elbow types???

Dear Readers,
Can anyone explain (or forward a faq) where I can find out more about
the intended use of the following type of elbow fittings:

1. 90deg Street Elbow
2. 90deg Street Closet Elbow
2. 90deg Closet Elbow
3. 90deg Long Turn Elbow
4. 90deg Long Turn Street Elbow

I saw these variations on a manufacturer's catalog (http://
www.nibco.com/assets/plasticfit.pdf) and am curious to learn more
about them all. Specifically, is the term "street" when the fitting
is male/female? Is there a special use for a "long turn" elbow?

Thanks,
-Theodore.

marson May 26th 08 01:13 PM

DWV elbow types???

On May 26, 1:09 am, wrote:
Dear Readers,
Can anyone explain (or forward a faq) where I can find out more about
the intended use of the following type of elbow fittings:

1. 90deg Street Elbow
2. 90deg Street Closet Elbow
2. 90deg Closet Elbow
3. 90deg Long Turn Elbow
4. 90deg Long Turn Street Elbow

I saw these variations on a manufacturer's catalog (http://www.nibco.com/assets/plasticfit.pdf) and am curious to learn more
about them all. Specifically, is the term "street" when the fitting
is male/female? Is there a special use for a "long turn" elbow?

Thanks,
-Theodore.

Yes, street has one male and one female side. l Long turn are used
for drain portion for good flow and ease of snaking. Closet elbows
are for toilets.

[email protected] May 26th 08 04:40 PM

DWV elbow types???

On May 26, 9:37*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm not sure about closet elbows.

You're right, that a "streeter" has male and female ends. Long turn means a
more gentle arc. Since it's not slamming the water from one directon to
another, it produces much less resistance to the flow of water. I use long
turn / radius whenever possible.

I don't see long turn elbows explicitly called out in the building
code. I am assuming it is acceptable practice to use for toilet waste
piping?

Wayne Whitney May 26th 08 10:54 PM

DWV elbow types???

On 2008-05-26, wrote:

Can anyone explain (or forward a faq) where I can find out more about
the intended use of the following type of elbow fittings:

1. 90deg Street Elbow
2. 90deg Street Closet Elbow
2. 90deg Closet Elbow
3. 90deg Long Turn Elbow
4. 90deg Long Turn Street Elbow

Others have answered about the meaning of "Street" here. As for long
turn 90s, they are required by the plumbing code (UPC) for drains
whenever the outlet of a 90 is horizontal. So if you use a 90 to take
a drain from vertical to horiztontal, or from horizontal to
horizontal, you need a long turn 90. To take a drain from horizontal
to vertical, you can use a regular 90 (not a vent 90). Of course
"horizontal" here really means sloped at 2% or more to provide
drainage.

Cheers, Wayne