Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Split AC Pipes - to shorten or not

I have a split AC system with the Outdoor unit just across the wall
where the indoor unit is fixed. The AC system comes with pipes that
are 3 meters long - whereas the actual length required is less than
1.5 meters.

Right now the pipes are coiled together and tied to the outdoor unit.
When the AC is running, the pipes shake and vibrate a lot. I am
worried if it might affect the connections to the outdoor unit. Also
don't lengthy tubing reduce the efficiency of the AC?

Is is possible to cut and shorten the piping so that we don't have to
coil the same. I have seen many places where the pipes are short and
neatly clamped to the wall. I've read that the pipes need to be flared
at the end using some special tool after they are cut.

What is the best practice in such situations? Please let me know if
its ok to shorten the pipes and clamp them to the wall after proper
insulation.

Thanks

Vijay
Posted to alt.home.repair

A flaring tool with a 45 degree cone is required to create a flare
on the end of the tube's.

However as you obviously dont have ------------------------ONE

Close the liquid line valve and pump down the System, this
transfers the refrigerant charge to the outside unit
Close the Suction service valve and turn the unit OFF. Leave
the Flared ends of the tubing on the unit and with a Pipe Cutter
cut the tube's 20 cm from the flare's. Shorten the tubes and
reconnect to the 20 cm pipe stubs with brazed unions.
Loosen the Suction line Flare nut, then crack the liquid line
valve. Allow the refrigerant to purge the air in the lines through
the loose flare nut, Then tighten the nut.
Open both the Liquid line and Suction line service valves and
turn the unit on.
Take care to pump down fully and try not to lose to much of the
refrigerant when purging air from the lines.
The correct way of carrying out this work would be to close the
liquid line service valve, bypass the low pressure switch and with
the use of gauges pump down to a vacuum. Close the Suction
service valve and then break the vacuum with dry Nitrogen.
Shorten both the liquid and suction lines and leak test. Evacuate
the lines to 500 microns Hg and break with dry Nitrogen then
Evacuate to 300 microns Hg. Open both the liquid and suction
service valves and adjust the unit charge.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Vijay- Hide quoted text -

Whoa thats some science to me! If you say shorten - then i'll call the
AC engineer and have him do it.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

I would not bother to shorten the lines. Some lines come with special
connectors rather than flared connections and some are hard soldered
(brazed/silver soldered) together. Any efficiency improvement will not be
noticeable or readily measured. However, the lines should be supported so
they do not vibrate. You might be able to just tie them tightly together
with large cable ties. Allowing the lines to vibrate will possibly cause
cracks, loose connections, or holes worn in the lines.

Don Young