DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GFI in kitchen (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/242141-gfi-kitchen.html)

Charlie Bress April 5th 08 10:53 PM

GFI in kitchen

What is the timeframe when GFI protection was required in a kitchen?

Was it different for bathrooms and outdoor receptacles?

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

Thanks
Charlie

cm April 5th 08 11:00 PM

GFI in kitchen

Charlie,

I am not sure of the time other than the early eighties in Arizona. The
houses that we work on that have one GFCI either in the kitchen or master
bath have the other exterior and bathroom wired through them so they are
protected also.

cm

RBM[_2_] April 5th 08 11:23 PM

GFI in kitchen

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
What is the timeframe when GFI protection was required in a kitchen?

Was it different for bathrooms and outdoor receptacles?

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

Thanks
Charlie

Around 1972 they were first required for bathroom outlets. I don't remember
exactly when, but sometime later, they were required for any outlet within 6
foot of a kitchen sink, with each code change they added new locations. I do
believe that garage outlets and outside outlets came shortly after bathroom
outlets, but I could be mistaken

Edwin Pawlowski April 5th 08 11:55 PM

GFI in kitchen

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
What is the timeframe when GFI protection was required in a kitchen?

Was it different for bathrooms and outdoor receptacles?

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

My house was built in '78. Bathrooms and outdoors have them, kitchen does
not.

DerbyDad03 April 6th 08 01:43 AM

GFI in kitchen

On Apr 5, 5:53*pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
What is the timeframe when GFI protection was required in a kitchen?

Was it different for bathrooms and outdoor receptacles?

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

Thanks
Charlie

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

In *real* neighborhoods, we play sports trivia. g

I'll take "House Wiring" for $400, Alex.

Charlie Bress April 7th 08 12:09 AM

GFI in kitchen

wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:43:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 5, 5:53 pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
What is the timeframe when GFI protection was required in a kitchen?

Was it different for bathrooms and outdoor receptacles?

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

Thanks
Charlie

This is just for a neighborhood discussion.

In *real* neighborhoods, we play sports trivia. g

I'll take "House Wiring" for $400, Alex.

As is the answer to most NEC questions, ask Mike Holt

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/ne...ment_page2.pdf

That's a great page. Thanks for the info

Charlie