Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make a "mold base".

Hi,

Here is an unusual question. I would like to refinish an old heave
(20lb) brass urn. As I'm working on it, I would like to take before
and after (and in-process) pictures. What would be the best material
to build a mold that I can set this piece on so I can place the piece
in a consistent place? I'm thinking plaster or compound or something
like that, and I need something that's soft at first but the
solidifies, but wouldn't stick to brass while wet and is stron enough
to initially support a 20lb piece with a tiny total base (4 little
claw feet).

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Easy. Make a small tray with raised sides and pour a layer of Bondo in the
tray. Cover the soft Bondo with a sheet of poly wrap, and set the four feet
into the goop.

In 10 minutes the Bondo will set and you can set the urn back into position
any time you wish.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Here is an unusual question. I would like to refinish an old heave
(20lb) brass urn. As I'm working on it, I would like to take before
and after (and in-process) pictures. What would be the best material
to build a mold that I can set this piece on so I can place the piece
in a consistent place? I'm thinking plaster or compound or something
like that, and I need something that's soft at first but the
solidifies, but wouldn't stick to brass while wet and is stron enough
to initially support a 20lb piece with a tiny total base (4 little
claw feet).

Thanks!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 1:36 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Here is an unusual question. I would like to refinish an old heave
(20lb) brass urn.

A heave urn...? Is that like a spittoon for someone about to
hurl?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Here is an unusual question. I would like to refinish an old heave
(20lb) brass urn. As I'm working on it, I would like to take before
and after (and in-process) pictures. What would be the best material
to build a mold that I can set this piece on so I can place the piece
in a consistent place? I'm thinking plaster or compound or something
like that, and I need something that's soft at first but the
solidifies, but wouldn't stick to brass while wet and is stron enough
to initially support a 20lb piece with a tiny total base (4 little
claw feet).

Thanks!

Aaron

Not understanding the problem. If you just need to place it for photos
(prefocused camera on a tripod?), some little 'L' marks of tape, or even
pencil marks, on the table or work surface, will do the trick. Used in
studio work all the time, even for human subjects. It is where the
phrase 'hitting your marks' comes from. (Johnny Carson had a star decal
on the stage for his monologue. No pans or zooms needed, just walk out
and start talking.)

--
aem sends...