Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default What to use to set marble ledge to wood window frame?

What would be the right stuff to set a marble ledge onto the 2 x 4 at
the bottom of a window frame? The old stuff was something white that
looked like mastic. Should that do the job or is there something
better?

Thanks for all input
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doc" wrote in message
What would be the right stuff to set a marble ledge onto the 2 x 4 at
the bottom of a window frame? The old stuff was something white that
looked like mastic. Should that do the job or is there something
better?

Thanks for all input

construction glue (liquid nails) or silicone. the wood is going to move with
changing humidity, and anything stiff will soon break.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

On Mar 26, 1:54*pm, "charlie"
wrote:

construction glue (liquid nails) or silicone. the wood is going to move with
changing humidity, and anything stiff will soon break.

It's been a while since I removed it but now that you mention it, I
believe I discovered it had actually come loose and was being held in
place by gravity and the bead of caulk. Doesn't experience any load
bearing so I hadn't noticed it before removing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote:

What would be the right stuff to set a marble ledge onto the 2 x 4 at
the bottom of a window frame? The old stuff was something white that
looked like mastic. Should that do the job or is there something
better?

I've used silicone caulk as have most of the installers I've seen, but you could
also use construction adhesive as long as you don't over do it. Keep in mind you
do want to be able to remove the ledge under some circumstances without damaging
the frame or the ledge.