Posted to alt.home.repair

Default make up air

I've got to have an HVAC guy add make-up combustion air to my fha furnace.
This is a requirement from the local building inspector.

I had a guy come buy and recommened a 'fan in a can'. Couple of
questions...what are these -and- how much do they cost to install?

I can't seem to find something titled 'fan in a can' with google.
thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnnyC" wrote in message
I've got to have an HVAC guy add make-up combustion air to my fha furnace.
This is a requirement from the local building inspector.

I had a guy come buy and recommened a 'fan in a can'. Couple of
questions...what are these -and- how much do they cost to install?

I can't seem to find something titled 'fan in a can' with google.
thanks.

Taint cheap.....

http://www.hhydro.com/cgi-bin/hhydro/FAN.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have a few words wrong.

Make up air is a term used with large exhaust hoods like those
found in restaurants. They have one blower bringing in the amount
of air that the exhaust hood is removing.

Your HVAC requires two things: both combustion air and fresh air.

Code requires a percentage of fresh air in the return/supply
system of the furnace to provide a healthy mix for humans.
Continually recycling the same air with no fresh will lead to high
CO2 numbers. Not a huge deal at home compared to a school or
other high usage setting, but now very much required by code.

Combustion air provides the air that the flame needs to burn
efficiently. This must be supplied by open access to outdoor air,
not robbing air from the room. A furnace on an outside wall is
usually satisfied with an open louver system with one high and one
low. There are other arrangements when the furnace is not at an
outside wall that involve ducting. I am not familiar with a fan
driven combustion air situation, though they may well exist.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"JohnnyC" wrote in message
I've got to have an HVAC guy add make-up combustion air to my
fha furnace. This is a requirement from the local building
inspector.

I had a guy come buy and recommened a 'fan in a can'. Couple of
questions...what are these -and- how much do they cost to
install?

I can't seem to find something titled 'fan in a can' with
google.
thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
[...]

Sure they do. A high efficiency gas furnace is one example of a burner
using a fan to provide combustion air.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DanG wrote:
... I am not familiar with a fan
driven combustion air situation, though they may well exist.

Never heard "forced draft"?

All 80+% high-efficiency systems I'm aware of are...

Natural draft went the way of the 50-60% variety.