Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temporary control of termites

I'm posting this as a tip that may help others.

My first indication of termites was Thursday morning. (Last year they
didn't enter until April; must be the mild NJ winter that moved their
swarming schedule up.) I couldn't get the exterminator to treat the
house until six days later. The termites had been entering almost as
fast as I could vacuum them up. Five minutes later, there would be more.
Scary thought that I'd have to fight them for six days.

The two entry points are at the top miter joints where the three door
casings met. (That door is in a wall that was originally an exterior
wall; since the addition, it's now an interior wall. Slab foundation
under original house and addition.)

Solution: spray water on the entry points. A single spray might last 24
hours or even more, but to be on safe side I spray twice a way. Not a
single one since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:

I'm posting this as a tip that may help others.

My first indication of termites was Thursday morning. (Last year they
didn't enter until April; must be the mild NJ winter that moved their
swarming schedule up.) I couldn't get the exterminator to treat the
house until six days later. The termites had been entering almost as
fast as I could vacuum them up. Five minutes later, there would be more.
Scary thought that I'd have to fight them for six days.

The two entry points are at the top miter joints where the three door
casings met. (That door is in a wall that was originally an exterior
wall; since the addition, it's now an interior wall. Slab foundation
under original house and addition.)

Solution: spray water on the entry points. A single spray might last 24
hours or even more, but to be on safe side I spray twice a way. Not a
single one since.

Sorry, don't sound like a good idea, the only things
termites need/want is wood(pulp) and water. Maybe you don't
see them because now they are happy right where they are, in
your wood.

ahh, what do you do for a living? maybe pest control.

I could see adding a little boric acid to the water.

-- larry / dallas
our termites are bigger than yours ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

you need a permiter and underslab treatment, which along with bait
control kill them for years.

just a light spray leaves them ready to attack again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 10:32*am, Ray K wrote:
I'm posting this as a tip that may help others.

My first indication of termites was Thursday morning. (Last year they
didn't enter until April; must be the mild NJ winter that moved their
swarming schedule up.) I couldn't get the exterminator to treat the
house until six days later. The termites had been entering almost as
fast as I could vacuum them up. Five minutes later, there would be more.
Scary thought that I'd have to fight them for six days.

The two entry points are at the top miter joints where the three door
casings met. (That door is in a wall that was originally an exterior
wall; since the addition, it's now an interior wall. Slab foundation
under original house and addition.)

Solution: spray water on the entry points. A single spray might last 24
hours or even more, but to be on safe side I spray twice a way. Not a
single one since.

They are actualy attracted to moist ground, you need real treatment.
Spectracide make bait stakes at HD you put around the outside in the
ground. Get spray also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry wrote:

Solution: spray water on the entry points. A single spray might last
24 hours or even more, but to be on safe side I spray twice a way.
Not a single one since.

Sorry, don't sound like a good idea, the only things
termites need/want is wood(pulp) and water. Maybe you don't
see them because now they are happy right where they are, in
your wood.

Ah, no. Swarming termites don't want wood or water. They want a female
termite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:

I'm posting this as a tip that may help others.

My first indication of termites was Thursday morning. (Last year they
didn't enter until April; must be the mild NJ winter that moved their
swarming schedule up.) I couldn't get the exterminator to treat the
house until six days later. The termites had been entering almost as
fast as I could vacuum them up. Five minutes later, there would be
more. Scary thought that I'd have to fight them for six days.

The two entry points are at the top miter joints where the three door
casings met. (That door is in a wall that was originally an exterior
wall; since the addition, it's now an interior wall. Slab foundation
under original house and addition.)

Solution: spray water on the entry points. A single spray might last
24 hours or even more, but to be on safe side I spray twice a way. Not
a single one since.

If they are swarming from an interior wall, it would seem the
infestation is inside the house. If you had
it treated a year ago, you should not have a recurrence. Got insurance
for retreat and/or repair?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Ray K wrote:

[...]

I didn't have a treatment last year; just got an estimate. I was perhaps
naive in hoping they wouldn't be back this year. I was wrong.

It was the exterminator company that will treat the whole house next
Wednesday that suggested I use plain water as a stop-gap measure until then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Research the product Termidor. It will get them ALL in a colony in a 3
month time span. Kicks fire ants asses, too. Spreads from one to the other,
through social contact, till they are all gone. Controlled substance, but
found on ebay.......

"Ray K" wrote in message
Norminn wrote:
Ray K wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Backlash wrote:
Research the product Termidor. It will get them ALL in a colony in a 3
month time span. Kicks fire ants asses, too. Spreads from one to the other,
through social contact, till they are all gone. Controlled substance, but
found on ebay.......

That's what they will be using.

Thanks,

ray

Termites Ray K Home Repair 17 April 24th 07 04:04 AM
Termites & Pests Control in Los Angeles Area [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 4th 06 10:50 PM
Termites & Pests Control in Los Angeles Area [email protected] Home Ownership 0 October 4th 06 08:08 PM
termites Todd Home Ownership 4 September 18th 03 08:02 AM