DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tree Sap Removal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/235289-tree-sap-removal.html)

Frank B.[_2_] February 26th 08 11:32 PM

Tree Sap Removal

Any suggestions on a solvent that would remove tree sap from a car
without damaging the paint? I've only tried alcohol so far. Scraping it
off with a wooden tongue depressor works but is time consuming since there
are about 100 stains. And of course it would be a black car.

Paul Franklin February 26th 08 11:44 PM

Tree Sap Removal

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:32:41 -0600, "Frank B."
wrote:

Any suggestions on a solvent that would remove tree sap from a car
without damaging the paint? I've only tried alcohol so far. Scraping it
off with a wooden tongue depressor works but is time consuming since there
are about 100 stains. And of course it would be a black car.

Bug and Tar remover, which you can get at any auto parts store, will
remove it with a little effort, and shouldn't harm the paint finish.

Mineral spirits will too, but will take off any wax.

HTH,

Paul F.

SHOPDOG February 26th 08 11:54 PM

Tree Sap Removal

WD-40, Spray it on,let it set a few min. should wipe right off

SD

Oren[_2_] February 27th 08 12:09 AM

Tree Sap Removal

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:54:24 GMT, "SHOPDOG"
wrote:

WD-40, Spray it on,let it set a few min. should wipe right off

SD

How would it dissolve tree sap?

--
Oren

mike February 27th 08 12:17 AM

Tree Sap Removal

On Feb 26, 3:54*pm, "SHOPDOG" wrote:
WD-40, Spray it on,let it set a few min. should wipe right off

SD

I second WD-40.

John McGaw February 27th 08 12:28 AM

Tree Sap Removal

wrote:

WD-40, Spray it on,let it set a few min. should wipe right off

SD

How would it dissolve tree sap?

--
Oren

A large percentage of WD-40's "magic" comes from a combination of
aromatic hydrocarbon solvents. It should handle tree sap in about the
same way that it handles adhesive labels.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Phisherman February 27th 08 12:51 AM

Tree Sap Removal

wrote:

WD-40, Spray it on,let it set a few min. should wipe right off

SD

How would it dissolve tree sap?

Mineral Spirits should work too.

KC February 27th 08 12:52 AM

Tree Sap Removal

On Feb 26, 5:32*pm, "Frank B." wrote:
* * Any suggestions on a solvent that would remove tree sap from a car
without damaging the paint? *I've only tried alcohol so far. *Scraping it
off with a wooden tongue depressor works but is *time consuming since there
are about 100 stains. *And of course it would be a black car.

Goop hand cleaner will take it off your hands so should work on metal
also.

Smitty Two February 27th 08 04:16 AM

Tree Sap Removal

In article ,
"Frank B." wrote:

Any suggestions on a solvent that would remove tree sap from a car
without damaging the paint? I've only tried alcohol so far. Scraping it
off with a wooden tongue depressor works but is time consuming since there
are about 100 stains. And of course it would be a black car.

Hmmm, 8 replies before me and no one else gets an A+, IMHO. Olive oil,
my friend, or almost any other kind of oil.

Una February 27th 08 05:43 AM

Tree Sap Removal

For tar I prefer anhydrous isopropyl alcohol over mineral spirits, oils,
WD-40, and Goop. Ask for it at a pharmacy; it is not expensive but you
have to ask for it because it is stored behind the counter.

Una

Peepin1 February 27th 08 12:09 PM

Tree Sap Removal

On Feb 27, 12:43*am, (Una) wrote:
For tar I prefer anhydrous isopropyl alcohol over mineral spirits, oils,
WD-40, and Goop. *Ask for it at a pharmacy; *it is not expensive but you
have to ask for it because it is stored behind the counter.

* * * * Una

Sorry Una, wrong button!

I tried all sorts of things on my truck. Not sure where I heard it,
but someone said to try Off bug spray. Worked like a charm!

Bill[_9_] February 27th 08 02:44 PM

Tree Sap Removal

I use peanut butter (not chunky!) to get it off my hands/arm...

Joe February 27th 08 07:54 PM

Tree Sap Removal

On Feb 26, 11:43*pm, (Una) wrote:
For tar I prefer anhydrous isopropyl alcohol over mineral spirits, oils,
WD-40, and Goop. *Ask for it at a pharmacy; *it is not expensive but you
have to ask for it because it is stored behind the counter.

* * * * Una

Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol is marketed as IsoHeet under $1 a pint at
any autoparts store (at least in the snow belt). HTH

Joe