Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help - My range trips the breaker if I touch the indictatorlight

Hi there,

I need some help to figure out why my range shorts out.

If I turn it on, but I just touch the indicator light (the little
light the size of your finger nail) that tells you the element is on,
the range breaker trips and then the main house breaker.

If I touch the on/off dial sometimes that trips the breaker too.
This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks. The 1st time was when I was cleaning
the dials with a damp cloth to remove some grease and that's when it
started happening.

This only happens to the controls on the right side of the range (the
side I cleaned). The left side doesn't seem to have the problem.

Anyone have ideas what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rav4Baby wrote:
Hi there,

I need some help to figure out why my range shorts out.

If I turn it on, but I just touch the indicator light (the little
light the size of your finger nail) that tells you the element is on,
the range breaker trips and then the main house breaker.

If I touch the on/off dial sometimes that trips the breaker too.
This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks. The 1st time was when I was cleaning
the dials with a damp cloth to remove some grease and that's when it
started happening.

This only happens to the controls on the right side of the range (the
side I cleaned). The left side doesn't seem to have the problem.

Anyone have ideas what is going on?

There's a loose connection or bare conductor that's getting moved when
you touch the controls/lights just right and ground it.

If you're comfortable looking for stuff like that, first trip the
breaker and take the rear cover off to expose the controls. If you're
lucky, the problem will be pretty evident.

If not, unless you know how to muck around in live power circuits w/o
getting yourself across somewhere you shouldn't, I'd suggest a repair
call is in your future.

I'd guess that simply looking at the controls in question w/o the power
will probably show up what is loose, making the problem though.

It's possible there could be a short inside the switch itself, too,
depending on how it and the indicator light are connected, but it
appears there's a mechanical movement causing the problem from the
description.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply.

I think I figured it out. I took the top apart. One of the dial
controls is all BLACK. Must be the bad one eh? It`s the control that
the problem happened to first. I think the indicator light goes
through that control too, so when I touch it the bad controler shorts
out.

I`m going to try replacing it and see if it fixes it.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rav4Baby wrote:
Hi there,

I need some help to figure out why my range shorts out.

If I turn it on, but I just touch the indicator light (the little
light the size of your finger nail) that tells you the element is on,
the range breaker trips and then the main house breaker.

I once called the Audi dealership with a similar complaint: If I so much as
breathed on the shift lever, the engine died.

silence

Finally the service manager said: "If you were a woman, I'd say you were
hallucinating or had gotten the shift lever confused with the key. As it is,
I have no idea. Better bring it in and we'll have a look at it."

I did. They fixed it. As I recall, it had something to do with the radiator
cap or the tail rotor. I forget.