Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Question

"RBM" wrote in message
Half of the switches in the panel are connected to the same leg of the
generator. Since everything else works, my guess is the switch. It's a
single pole double throw, center off switch. It's possible the connection
from the gen to the common is dead. It's also possible that the unit has a
bad fuse, or breaker for that switch

Actually, two circuits that definitely worked, the Sump Pump and the Master
Bedroom, are both on the "B" circuit. The Refrig was on the "A" circuit,
and now I'm remembering the Family Room, also on the "A" circuit, was not
working either.

If half the switches connected to the same leg of the generator were
working, and the other half not working, what problem would that suggest?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If all the A circuits or all the B circuits were dead, the generator is only
putting out 120 volts instead of 240 volts. There may be a switch on the
generator that controls this, or it could be a circuit breaker on the
generator

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
. ..

"RBM" wrote in message
Half of the switches in the panel are connected to the same leg of the
generator. Since everything else works, my guess is the switch. It's a
single pole double throw, center off switch. It's possible the connection
from the gen to the common is dead. It's also possible that the unit has
a bad fuse, or breaker for that switch

Actually, two circuits that definitely worked, the Sump Pump and the
Master Bedroom, are both on the "B" circuit. The Refrig was on the "A"
circuit, and now I'm remembering the Family Room, also on the "A" circuit,
was not working either.

If half the switches connected to the same leg of the generator were
working, and the other half not working, what problem would that suggest?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
Half of the switches in the panel are connected to the same leg of the
generator. Since everything else works, my guess is the switch. It's a
single pole double throw, center off switch. It's possible the connection
from the gen to the common is dead. It's also possible that the unit has
a bad fuse, or breaker for that switch

Actually, two circuits that definitely worked, the Sump Pump and the
Master Bedroom, are both on the "B" circuit. The Refrig was on the "A"
circuit, and now I'm remembering the Family Room, also on the "A" circuit,
was not working either.

If half the switches connected to the same leg of the generator were
working, and the other half not working, what problem would that suggest?

It suggests that one of the leads from the generator is not feeding power to
the transfer switch. It could be a connection problem, fuse, or circuit
breaker. It could be in the generator, in the transfer switch, or in the
wiring between them.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
Half of the switches in the panel are connected to the same leg of the
generator. Since everything else works, my guess is the switch. It's a
single pole double throw, center off switch. It's possible the
connection from the gen to the common is dead. It's also possible that
the unit has a bad fuse, or breaker for that switch

Actually, two circuits that definitely worked, the Sump Pump and the
Master Bedroom, are both on the "B" circuit. The Refrig was on the "A"
circuit, and now I'm remembering the Family Room, also on the "A"
circuit, was not working either.

If half the switches connected to the same leg of the generator were
working, and the other half not working, what problem would that suggest?

Yep, it was a circuit breaker on the generator. Reset, and it's fine.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

Half of the switches in the panel are connected to the same leg of the
generator. Since everything else works, my guess is the switch. It's a
single pole double throw, center off switch. It's possible the connection
from the gen to the common is dead. It's also possible that the unit has a
bad fuse, or breaker for that switch

Actually, two circuits that definitely worked, the Sump Pump and the Master
Bedroom, are both on the "B" circuit. The Refrig was on the "A" circuit,
and now I'm remembering the Family Room, also on the "A" circuit, was not
working either.

If half the switches connected to the same leg of the generator were
working, and the other half not working, what problem would that suggest?

It would suggest that you call the electrician who initially installed the
transfer switch.

While time has elapsed, the transfer switches most likely havent been
operated
enough times such that you see this kind of failure. Surely you haven't
been
operating them 10 times a day for 2 1/2 years.

This is an abnormal early failure.

generator question miker Home Repair 24 December 6th 07 02:18 PM
Generator/Svc Question? bobmct Home Repair 5 August 1st 06 12:43 AM
Generator Question (not strictly DIY) Mark Trueman UK diy 12 June 10th 06 11:31 PM
Generator question? wayne mak Metalworking 1 February 9th 06 09:58 PM
OT Generator Question RWL Metalworking 2 December 17th 05 02:55 AM