Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm Losing Roof Shingles As I Type This Message

Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? There's no way I can get a
roofer before the next expected precip. Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because
hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 3:04 pm, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:
Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? There's no way I can get a
roofer before the next expected precip. Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because
hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? Thanks.

1..Very likely you will have leaks depending on if underlayer is
damaged.
2.. Yes they need hot sun to heat the adhesive to make it stick good.
The reason you replace shingle roofs in summer if possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:
Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? There's no way I can get a
roofer before the next expected precip. Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because
hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? Thanks.

Stock up on blue tarps before they're all sold out...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 4:04 pm, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:
Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? There's no way I can get a
roofer before the next expected precip. Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because
hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? Thanks.

Well, what portion of the shingle is being torn off, and how many? If
it's just a few of the exposed tabs, and there's still shingle from
the lower course in place, it shouldn't be a major concern for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 3:04 pm, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:
Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? There's no way I can get a
roofer before the next expected precip. Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because
hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? Thanks.

Maybe...

I own a house that has been losing tabs in high winds since 1998.
Still not leaking.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 3:04*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:
Big winds have torn/are tearing off shingles today.

1) What are the short-term ramifications? *There's no way I can get a
roofer before the next expected precip. *Are leaks inevitable?

2) Isn't it true that shingles installed in winter will tear because
hot sun is needed to make the adhesive work? *Thanks.

Make a written record of all of the following.
1. Call you home owner's insurance agent. They may cover repairs. Also
they should have some suggestions. Have them send an agent to see the
conditions.
2. Photo the damage, always use a camera with time date stamp. And
start with overall views then take close-ups.
3. Check inside of the house for leeks and take photos (dated) showing
no previous damage.
4. Have some one (not related) view the areas for a wittiness if/and
when needed, especially if not damaged now.
5. Was this roof installed for you? Either way extensive damage and
repairs may be covered by 1 above.
6. How is this waneteed? Labor and materials. (shingles can have a
prorated warrantees) Call the installing get on the clock. Also get
the manufactures ID.

Let us all, know how it all comes out.

TEC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 8:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

Nice try at answering the OP's questions.