Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom fan roof cap location

Is there any reason not to install a bathroom fan roof cap very near
the edge of the roof, about 1.5 feet from the rain gutter? There is
no soffit on this side of the house. Because of the location of the
bathroom fan, the closest, most direct venting would be if the roof
cap was near the edge of the gutter. I have a ranch style house, with
gutter all the way around if that helps.

This is at the rear of the house, so aesthetics isn't an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 27, 7:03*pm, " wrote:
Is there any reason not to install a bathroom fan roof cap very near
the edge of the roof, about 1.5 feet from the rain gutter? *There is
no soffit on this side of the house. *Because of the location of the
bathroom fan, the closest, most direct venting would be if the roof
cap was near the edge of the gutter. *I have a ranch style house, with
gutter all the way around if that helps.

This is at the rear of the house, so aesthetics isn't an issue.

Best advice would be from your building code people. In small towns
like ours it is apparently OK as I have seen a few vents for plumbing
and fans close to the gutters. Keep in mind that that location has the
heaviest water run off from the roof and thus needs extra attention to
flashing, like major size increases, since the low slope (4 in 12 or
less) of the ranch roofs make ice dams and leaks likely. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 8:59 pm, Steve wrote:
" wrote on 27 Jan 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

Is there any reason not to install a bathroom fan roof cap very near
the edge of the roof, about 1.5 feet from the rain gutter? There is
no soffit on this side of the house. Because of the location of the
bathroom fan, the closest, most direct venting would be if the roof
cap was near the edge of the gutter. I have a ranch style house, with
gutter all the way around if that helps.

This is at the rear of the house, so aesthetics isn't an issue.

Do you live in a snow area? I'd sure hate to get an ice dam around a roof
penetration. There may also be code limitations.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I'm in a Detroit suburb, so yes, it's a snow area.