DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Goodman furnace won't shut off (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/231677-goodman-furnace-wont-shut-off.html)

[email protected] January 28th 08 12:44 AM

Goodman furnace won't shut off

Hey, I've got a Goodman GMT115 gas furnace that, if turned on, will
not stop heating the house. This started two nights ago, and it may be
a fault in the fan/blower relay switch or something. I've tried
turning off the thermostat, but the only way to regulate it now is to
turn off power to the furnace. The manufacturer website doesn't give
any help. Matching up the manual's wiring diagram with the furnace
control panel and wiring doesn't quite mesh. Any help in diagnosing
the problem, or identifying where the fan/blower relay is?

Dr. Hardcrab January 28th 08 01:56 AM

Goodman furnace won't shut off

wrote

Hey, I've got a Goodman GMT115 gas furnace

I'm sorry.....

Smarty January 28th 08 02:02 AM

Goodman furnace won't shut off

Somewhere on the furnace you should find a terminal strip where the wires
from your thermostat connect. Temporarily disconnect the red wire and see if
the furnace then shuts. The burner, if ignited, should quit immediately, and
the blower may take a while to turn off since it is most likely on a delayed
relay / switch. The key thing is to isolate the problem to either the
thermostat versus the furnace, which this simple test will achieve.

If the thermostat is stuck in the continuous on condition, then removing the
red wire will reveal that the thermostat and not the furnace is at fault.

If, on the other hand, the furnace continues to run despite the red wire
being disconnected, then the furnace itself is the problem.

There should be a wiring diagram someplace inside the furnace or in the
owner's manual if you want to try to troubleshoot the furnace with our help.
If not, call a competent repair person.

Smarty

wrote

Speedy Jim[_2_] January 28th 08 02:05 AM

wrote:
Hey, I've got a Goodman GMT115 gas furnace that, if turned on, will
not stop heating the house. This started two nights ago, and it may be
a fault in the fan/blower relay switch or something. I've tried
turning off the thermostat, but the only way to regulate it now is to
turn off power to the furnace. The manufacturer website doesn't give
any help. Matching up the manual's wiring diagram with the furnace
control panel and wiring doesn't quite mesh. Any help in diagnosing
the problem, or identifying where the fan/blower relay is?

If it continues to heat the house (burners on)
after the thermostat is satisfied,
then it's not a fan/blower relay problem.

If you're confident working on the wiring,
disconnect the thermostat wires (Red and White)
at the furnace. If the gas burners now shut off,
the thermostat is at fault or the wiring to the
stat is shorted. (Shut the power off before working...)

If you're not confident or lack the experience,
wait for the tech.

[email protected] January 29th 08 03:32 AM

Goodman furnace won't shut off

Good foresight on the problem not truly being solved. I had a
feeling, but was hoping for dumb luck. There are two thermostat
controls (Honeywell T8112) in the house. Does it sound like I need a
new blower relay switch?

Speedy Jim[_2_] January 29th 08 03:36 AM

wrote:
Good foresight on the problem not truly being solved. I had a
feeling, but was hoping for dumb luck. There are two thermostat
controls (Honeywell T8112) in the house. Does it sound like I need a
new blower relay switch?

Not the relay.

We're betting that the thermostat is at fault.

If opening the Red (or White) wire shuts the
burner off, then the furnace is working normally.

Jim

Smarty January 29th 08 10:41 PM

Goodman furnace won't shut off

The furnace should only be connected to and operated by one thermostat, not
two.

Are you aware of how the 2 thermostats are wired??

Smarty