Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

Default Can dust in thermostat screw up heating

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room
temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

Regards,
BarJor
Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 5:07*am, "
wrote:
Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room
temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

Regards,
BarJor

Hi,

I guess this is more likely if your themostat is one of those more
mechanical ones, without the LCD etc. I would see if a gentle cleaning
with a vaccum cleaner would fix it. Otherwise try a new thermostat.
You can buy them at home depot.

Best, Mike.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:07:37 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
" wrote this:-

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Possibly. It may be that the dust has formed an insulating layer on
the contacts of some types of thermostat or obstructing other bits
of the mechanism and is preventing the contacts closing.

If you know what you are doing, you may be able to turn off the
electricity and clean the mechanism. This should cure it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

" wrote this:-

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Possibly. It may be that the dust has formed an insulating layer on
the contacts of some types of thermostat or obstructing other bits
of the mechanism and is preventing the contacts closing.

If you know what you are doing, you may be able to turn off the
electricity and clean the mechanism. This should cure it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Thank you very much both David and Mike.

Thermostat came with the place and I am here for 3 years now.

Honeywell is written on it.

It was an electrician who was doing the drilling. He is sending a
plumber to look at it. Electrician was talking about some pump and
motor not working. After he left I had a colse look at the Thermostat
and saw the dust from drilling deposited on it. Tried to suck out the
dust with hover, but dust has gone in definitely as the gasket it torn
off at the top.

Just trying to be educated so I am not led into more expensive opening
up of motor, pump, wherever they are.

Luckily weather is warm so can bear it few days.

Wonder if pouring spirit through top will clean up the contacts.

Cannot locate electrica wire coming it.

Will have to wait for promised plumber coming and giving his opinion/
estimate.

Thanks again.

BarJor

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Boilers and hydronic heat systems can be set up in a variety of ways. From
your description, it sounds like your boiler and domestic hot water work
independently from the thermostat. The thermostat, in that case would just
be controlling circulation to the radiators. While dust can be a factor, my
guess is that the drilling severed conductors in the thermostat wiring

" wrote this:-

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Possibly. It may be that the dust has formed an insulating layer on
the contacts of some types of thermostat or obstructing other bits
of the mechanism and is preventing the contacts closing.

If you know what you are doing, you may be able to turn off the
electricity and clean the mechanism. This should cure it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

On 22 Jan, 11:53, wrote:
On 22 Jan, *
* * " wrote:

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room
temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

What model thermostat? In addition to what others have said, you may have
drilled through the cable and severed the neutral to the thermostat.

--
* B Thumbs
* Change lycos to yahoo to reply

But if it is a straight mechanical thermostat, presumably the 'kt'
sound would be heard whether or not the unit was powered?

Its a really simple job to replace a thermostat (hey, even I've done
it!), so I would pick one up from B&Q, try a new one in its place and
see what happens.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:04:30 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
" wrote this:-

Wonder if pouring spirit through top will clean up the contacts.

Don't do that. A number of things might happen if you do this, most
of which are not good.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:28 pm, wrote:
On 22 Jan, 11:53, wrote:

On 22 Jan,
" wrote:

[...]

Afraid to pry off the thermostat from the wall.

Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off,
but will wait for the plumber as I sense that the electrician who did
the drilling feels bit on defensive.

The drilling was in the ceiling of the hallway.

Thrmostat is quite a distance from both where ho****er tank is located
and also where boiler is located.

Thermostat is Honeywell, Boiler is GlowWorm-Ultimate and Timesetting
device is Landis &GYR(this being located in the closet where water
tank is located.

Electricity wire going into Thermostat is concealed and the path to it
is not clear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Afraid to pry off the thermostat from the wall.

Honywell mechanical ones often have one screw either at the top or
bottom. Once removed it usually hinges away that side.

Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off,
but will wait for the plumber as I sense that the electrician who did
the drilling feels bit on defensive.

The drilling was in the ceiling of the hallway.

So not in the wall above the stat then?

Thrmostat is quite a distance from both where ho****er tank is located
and also where boiler is located.

It will typically be connected to the boiler. When it and the clock call
for heat, the boiler will fire. and the input from the stat will also
cause a electromechanical valve move and enable water to flow round the
radiator circuit.

Thermostat is Honeywell, Boiler is GlowWorm-Ultimate and Timesetting
device is Landis &GYR(this being located in the closet where water
tank is located.

Electricity wire going into Thermostat is concealed and the path to it
is not clear.

Something like a Zircon cable detector may help you find it. It ought to
be in a line either vertically or horizontally with the stat.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off,
but will wait for the plumber "

I thought Plumbers fix pipes - electricians will know about thermostats as
they are an electrical switch.

On Jan 22, 1:48 pm, "John" wrote:
"Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off,
but will wait for the plumber "

I thought Plumbers fix pipes - electricians will know about thermostats as
they are an electrical switch.

That did suprise me and worries me.

I am giving him for the present benefit of doubt that he does not know
how boiler is connected to other components of heating system.

On Jan 22, 1:26 pm, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
Afraid to pry off the thermostat from the wall.

Honywell mechanical ones often have one screw either at the top or
bottom. Once removed it usually hinges away that side.

Checked again. No screw even in the knob .

Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off,
but will wait for the plumber as I sense that the electrician who did
the drilling feels bit on defensive.

The drilling was in the ceiling of the hallway.

So not in the wall above the stat then?

About 4 feet up in the ceiling.

Thrmostat is quite a distance from both where ho****er tank is located
and also where boiler is located.

It will typically be connected to the boiler. When it and the clock call
for heat, the boiler will fire. and the input from the stat will also
cause a electromechanical valve move and enable water to flow round the
radiator circuit.

Boiler does respond to Clock, but not to thermostat.

Thermostat is Honeywell, Boiler is GlowWorm-Ultimate and Timesetting
device is Landis &GYR(this being located in the closet where water
tank is located.

Electricity wire going into Thermostat is concealed and the path to it
is not clear.

Something like a Zircon cable detector may help you find it. It ought to
be in a line either vertically or horizontally with the stat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Will have to wait for plumber the electrician said he is sending.

Thanks.

On Jan 22, 2:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:48 pm, "John" wrote:
"Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off,
but will wait for the plumber "

I thought Plumbers fix pipes - electricians will know about thermostats as
they are an electrical switch.

That did suprise me and worries me.

I am giving him for the present benefit of doubt that he does not know
how boiler is connected to other components of heating system.

Well in the grand scheme of things the heating wiring may be not
familiar to an electrician, however the wiring at the stat usually
follows one of two options - both will have live in and switched live
out, older stats may also have a neutral as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

As heating stopped after the electrical work, I called him saying he
has bungled up. He came and as to thermostat he wondred why boiler is
not responding, but quickly went onto motor, valve of pumping water
into radiators. It was only after he left I notince dus piled up on
thermostat and appliede hover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room
temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

Regards,
BarJor

Based on some of the things you've said in this discussion, I would strongly
suggest two things:

1) Avoid fixing these things yourself, forever. The fact that you even
mentioned pouring a liquid into the thermostat disqualifies you from
touching anything more complicated than a toaster, and I'm not even sure
you're safe with that.

2) Ask everyone your know - co-workers, neighbors, friends - if they can
recommend a heating contractor they've been happy with on a long-term basis.
You could pick one out of the phone book and get very lucky, but probably
not.

wrote:
Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room
temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

Just blow it out with some compressed air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in
evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all
radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that
dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room
temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

Your boiler is up to proper temperature (that's why you are getting hot
water). It COULD be your thermostat, but it
sound like your circulator is not coming on. That could mean several things.
Could be a broken coupler (if it's an older
system), could be a bad aquastat/relay, could be a bad motor on the
circulator.

You could gently blow the dust out of the t'stat with some compressed air,
or do it yourself like you are blowing outa candle. DON'T pour anything into
the thermostat! The service guy will be replacing a lot more stuff if you
do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:53 pm, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Was really feeling down when promised plumber did not turn up
yesterday.

Today luckily he turned up and mainly did cleaning/scratching of
points in thermostat and heating turned up.

He did say something about valve being old.

I am tenant of an old man, myself close to 70. When I get frightened
the land lord gets more frightened. Will have to convince him to do
some upgrade offering to share half the expenses. Hot water tank is
plain coper with insulation material tied around it. The boiler does
seem to be OK, but the rest can do some upgrade.

I than every one on this thread for picking up my problem and being
helpful.

Regards,
BarJor.