Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The odor from spoiled food

My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Dick

This subject came up last week, also with regard to a failed freezer.
Someone said:

"Two of these
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,42194,40727
cleared the smell of gasoline from inside my van in four days."

Might be worth a try. And, from now one, always assume the freezer will
fail. Wrap things so that even if they defrost, they won't leak all over the
place. Hefty makes a jumbo size freezer bag. Even when I do a perfect job of
wrapping things in freezer paper, I store the stuff in those bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 09:20:06p, Dick Adams told us...

My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Dick

Baking soda? Activated charcoal? Ozone generator?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
If I let you go, do you think you
could fly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 8:20 pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Dick

Dick-

It's gonna take some time.

My BIL left some trout in our freezer (wrapped in foli).... no freezer
failure but the package must have leaked.

It took WEEKS of plates of ground coffee, alternated with activated
carbon.

We were never sure what really did the trick...IMO it was just time &
maybe the activated carbon.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:

My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

This subject came up last week, also with regard to
a failed freezer. Someone said:

"Two of these
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,42194,40727
cleared the smell of gasoline from inside my van in four days."

I have ordered this product and am awaiting delivery.

Might be worth a try. And, from now one, always assume
the freezer will fail. Wrap things so that even if they
defrost, they won't leak all over the place. Hefty makes
a jumbo size freezer bag. Even when I do a perfect job of
wrapping things in freezer paper, I store the stuff in
those bags.

Double and triple wrap is my new protocol.

What about the wall to get the odor out of the plaster board.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Dick Adams told us...

My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Baking soda? Activated charcoal? Ozone generator?

Done first, ordered second, please explain third.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Dick

We bought a used fifth-wheel travel trailer in which food had been
allowed to spoil in the 'fridge.
We put in several shallow dishes of raw coffee (right out of the
can) and changed them in about a week. Did it the second time and
the odor was gone.
Hope this helps.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Dick Adams:

On Jan 22, 3:55*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Baking soda? *Activated charcoal? *Ozone generator?

Done first, ordered second, please explain third.

Odor molecules are commonly carbon-carbon double bonds. Ozone breaks
these bonds, almost always to compounds that are easily assimilated by
nature, are non-toxic to humans (with caveats), and no longer smell.

Douse the inside with water and put an ozone generator output hose
into it. Some rental companies might have these for remediation after
fire or flood. The water is to increase the humidity in the space,
ozone goes after more compounds with water present. Standing water
not required / desirable.

Depending on the ozone generator, 30 seconds to 30 minutes should be
enough, not longer. Do not stay near the freezer, and do this
outside. In fact if you can, keep the ozone generator away from the
freezer.

After the generator is off, and it sits for an hour, blow a fan into
the space to loft the ozone (heavier than air) out of the chest (if it
is not an upright freezer).

Have you replaced the pliable plastic seals? They tend to hold onto
odors. Certainly and salt (a couple of tablespoonfuls per gallon) and
hydrogen peroxide solution (a 1/2 or 3/4 liter bottle in a gallon)
would be good to rub it down with (remember gloves). Its reaction
will be pretty quick, so a rinse with water within 5 minutes should be
good.

David A. Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Dick Adams told us...

My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Baking soda? Activated charcoal? Ozone generator?

Done first, ordered second, please explain third.

Dick

Google ozone. Ozone's chemical sign is 03, which means it is oxygen (02)
with an additional oxygen molecules. You can smell it when around an
electric motor, and the larger the motor, the more ozone. It has a sweet
smell, and not unpleasant. I'm sure you've smelled it in your life. It
breaks down very easily by losing one oxygen molecule when it hits another
molecule or compound. (the smelly ones) This changes the chemical
composition of the smelly molecule into a molecule that doesn't smell, or
two molecules that don't smell. They've been used for a long time by
restoration companies, and as stated, four hours to a few days will get rid
of just about any smell. ANY smell. They're a convenient thing to have,
and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I saw it at a yard sale or cheap. Am
going to investigate that cheap one the poster said on ebay. Use it after
Uncle Cletus comes for a visit. Cigars, farts, his weird smell .........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Dick Adams told us...

My freezer failed and most of the food spoiled.
The freezer has been repaired and has been
with 409, Lysol, and bleach. But an odor is
still present. I have poured an ounce of
bleach into the drip pan (which is unaccessible
except through the drain) daily.

Any ideas?

Baking soda? Activated charcoal? Ozone generator?

Done first, ordered second, please explain third.

Dick

Next door neighbors house was ozonized. I'd be careful with ozone and
bleach because both can damage plastics. Plastics do absorb odors and
tend to hang on to them like they do plasticizers. Time, airing and use
of charcoal hopefully will make odor manageable.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:

[...]

Did the plasterboard actually get soaked with anything disgusting, or is it
just smelly from being nearby the disaster? If it actually got wet, I'd cut
out the affected area and patch it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" writes:

Google ozone. Ozone's chemical sign is 03, which means it is oxygen (02)
with an additional oxygen molecules. You can smell it when around an
electric motor, and the larger the motor, the more ozone.

True for universal motors, with arcing brushes. But induction motors
have no brushes, no arcs, and produce no ozone. Not much point in
sniffing around them.

You can sometimes smell ozone in the air after a thunderstorm.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"SteveB" writes:

Google ozone. Ozone's chemical sign is 03, which means it is oxygen (02)
with an additional oxygen molecules. You can smell it when around an
electric motor, and the larger the motor, the more ozone.

True for universal motors, with arcing brushes. But induction motors
have no brushes, no arcs, and produce no ozone. Not much point in
sniffing around them.

You can sometimes smell ozone in the air after a thunderstorm.

Dave

Just trying to pass along some information. But, I see it was wasted on
those who already know everything.

Steve

Organic food. Z Home Repair 1 July 24th 07 02:03 AM
Water with NO odor has an odor AFTER osmosis filtering... [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 19th 06 01:19 AM
Spoiled for choice Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 July 11th 06 07:42 AM
Elm for food use Stephen Selby Woodturning 4 July 6th 06 10:19 AM