Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Optima red top car Battery

Is this the best, what are its drawbacks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Must be one of the best. My neighbor had one here in the Phoenix area with
temps above 110 in the summer and it lasted 6 years.

cm

"ransley" wrote in message
Is this the best, what are its drawbacks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Is this the best, what are its drawbacks.

A tad expensive, but otherwise I'm not aware of any issues with them.
They are supposed to be more vibration resistant then the regular
batteries which could help in some applications.

I seem to get adequate service life out of the regular batteries at a
decent cost savings though, and I do go off road with some frequency so
that vibration seems to not be an issue. With dual batteries in the
truck, when one does fail I can typically just swap the Aux into the
main position in about 10 minutes and continue on my way.

I'm not sure what the usual failure mode of an Optima is, but on the
regulars in my truck at least they seem to fail with a shorted cell and
nearly explode (never actually exploded though). When you start to get a
strong sulfur smell check the voltmeter and see if it's a few volts
below normal and if so stop and check the battery quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got one on my 99 Blazer. goin on 6 years now. Got another in my S10
pickup goin on 2 yrs. THe pickup has been deep discharged at least a dozen
times. Still no issues. and they realy crank on a cold day. You may need to
adjust the voltage regulator to the battery if its an older car The battery
FAQ is a good place to read. http://www.batteryfaq.org/

"ransley" wrote in message
Is this the best, what are its drawbacks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 5:46�pm, ransley wrote:
Is this the best, what are its drawbacks.

the heavier the same size battery is the better it is........

more lead costs more

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:46:10 -0800 (PST), "
graced this newsgroup with:

On Jan 20, 5:46?pm, ransley wrote:
Is this the best, what are its drawbacks.

the heavier the same size battery is the better it is........

more lead costs more

not necessarily true. It's not just the amount of lead but also
the purity of lead.

ferolli optima 901 huney Home Repair 0 July 23rd 07 07:49 PM
Optima Alarm Panel Brett Electronics Repair 4 November 8th 06 10:09 AM
Optima XM6 Intruder detector Alan G UK diy 9 February 18th 05 05:05 PM
Dead Optima Montior [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 December 28th 04 08:45 AM
re jvc optima 720 laser jason & judy Electronics Repair 0 October 18th 04 04:29 AM