Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TSP?

OK, so apparently I'm old school beyond my years... any time that I had
to clean concrete in the past, I'd scoop out some TSP from the big
bucket in my dad's garage and mix up a solution, and scrub away.
Apparently TSP is no longer available. I just scraped up a whole mess
of cheapass vinyl tile from my laundry room floor, and I'd like to
simply clean the concrete and leave as is. What product should I use?

Note to self, next time it might be good to check these things out
before filling up a 30 gallon trash can with what used to be my floor.
Or something like that.

On a sort-of related note, Home Depot still sucks. I hope that the one
blade that I have for my floor scraper doesn't break before I get done
with this floor. (I used a sidewalk scraper to peel the tiles up; that
seemed to work better.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think depends on where you live.

As far as I know TSP is still available at hardware/paint supply stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I think depends on where you live.

As far as I know TSP is still available at hardware/paint supply stores.
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Yes, apparently since I live in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, I can't
get it, unless I drive quite a distance. So what should I use instead?
Are the "TSP Substitute" products any good? I'm basically trying to
clean a concrete floor; the major product that I'm trying to remove is
the remains of the adhesive from the floor tile that will remain after
scraping. It does seem to be somewhat affected by hot water, so perhaps
this will not be incredibly difficult, but I'd like to get it as clean
as possible (I have a dream that someday I will have an actually clean
basement.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Yes, apparently since I live in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, I can't
get it, unless I drive quite a distance. So what should I use instead?
Are the "TSP Substitute" products any good? I'm basically trying to
clean a concrete floor; the major product that I'm trying to remove is
the remains of the adhesive from the floor tile that will remain after
scraping. It does seem to be somewhat affected by hot water, so perhaps
this will not be incredibly difficult, but I'd like to get it as clean
as possible (I have a dream that someday I will have an actually clean
basement.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I'm not sure how well even real TSP would work for removing adhesive
remains. A sure thing would be to rent a concrete scarifier from your
local United Rentals or similar. One will certainly remove the adhesive
and grind a very nice surface on the concrete, "remove oil and
contaminants, mill scale or rust, epoxy coatings, thermoplastic
coatings, paint and traffic lines. Level uneven surfaces and trip
hazards".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 9:06 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
I just scraped up a whole mess
of cheapass vinyl tile from my laundry room floor, and I'd like to
simply clean the concrete and leave as is. What product should I use?

Tough to say without seeing it. Google muriatic acid. It can be
diluted to fit the task, you might get away with as little as a 2%
solution.
------

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:13:28 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:

As far as I know TSP is still available at hardware/paint supply stores.

I would check to make sure that TSP is actually made from trisodium
phosphate. The stuff I saw wasn't. I think I posted here a couple
years about this observation.